Rank 6
SILVER HAND
Rank 3214
U.S [EN]

Author Topic: Binary Satan  (Read 3255 times)

Offline CJ

Binary Satan
« on: 11/24/10, 12:03 PM »

I've been a blizzard fan for many years, from playing the impossibly hard (for an 8 year old) Warcraft: Orcs & Humans, to killing diablo with my melee based sorcerer. I would be heralded as "Fucking Saint Kickteeth" if we counted the numbers of demons I have killed in blizz games, too bad no one cares about that in real life amirite?

Blizzard games have been taking a weird turn lately, Starcraft 2's emphasis on a more immersive gameplay/story compared to Cataclysm, which seems to be following the sluggish MMO trend as Nand cleverly illuminated. It looks like they are trying to break the mold of the expected gameplay experience (with the exception of WoW). When we look at Diablo 3, and blizzard's suggestions of a more immersive gameplay, it gets me thinking, "are they holding themselves to high expectations, and working to create a true genre-breaking/blending awesome experience?" or "are they riding their gigantic golden cash-cow to the holy gates of asgard?" Feels like both sometimes... People have such a surreptitious relationship with blizzard games, complete criticism for everything sub-satisfactory while the complainer is grinding for 10,000 achievement points, for bragging rights naturally.

Unfortunately addictive gameplay + having history with previous games creates drive for me to go out and buy this goddamn "Diablo 3" when it is released. That being said, I'm gonna make a clan and play that game till a fucking intervention occurs, D2 sucked so many hours of my life away and I have never been more willing to throw my time at pixels than with the advent of Binary Satan.

Gameplay genres create expectations, do we measure the success (fun?) of a game on how well said game adheres to expected elements? Or by how clever the game is at breaking/blending particular elements of gameplay? Friends of mine say simply, "play fun games."

That being said; what are your thoughts on Diablo 3, Blizzard as a corporation, and your future expectations/desires of gaming?

Offline Antheia

Re: Binary Satan
« Reply #1 on: 11/24/10, 12:33 PM »

Both in GW2 and Diablo 3 there will be TWC day 1 per me and shat - im pretty excited for both those game - WoW is just a cash cow, as they are building another mmo and have a few unannounced games

Offline Shatner

• Ginger & Redhead Connoisseur
« Reply #2 on: 11/24/10, 12:55 PM »

I'm not sure what to expect out of D3.  It looks great, and the classes look pretty fun, but there are some little things that bother me.  Nand outlined them in his post a while back.  The arena thing makes no sense, and could very much hinder fun in favor of balance.  This is fine for an MMO like WoW, but Diablo has always been about playing and playing until you get crazy op and can take on Hell.

Offline Nandladin

« Reply #3 on: 11/24/10, 01:43 PM »

Yeah, the competitive PvP arenas took me from being a Diablo III fan to having no interest at all. :(

Offline CJ

« Reply #4 on: 11/24/10, 06:32 PM »

I'm thinking that players will treat the arenas like pvp in the other diablo's, there was a small hardcore pvp community that was largely ignored by the rest of ppl.. Granted pvp got destroyed with runewords that gave you the ability to teleport and have paladin auras as a necromancer and such. 

Offline Niliamann

• Spinning Sack of Potatoes
« Reply #5 on: 11/24/10, 07:22 PM »

With Blizzard coming out and talking about how excited they are to have arenas in it, it doesn't really matter how few people are interested in it.  I mean, there was a PvP community in EQ, too, and in FFXI.  There were things quite similar to arenas in the latter.  Companies weren't really that interested in sacrificing dev time for it, though.  Blizzard on the other hand is touting it as a great feature of the game - They'll likely keep pushing it and constantly retuning around it so they can have their official tournaments that draw in revenue.  In a game like Diablo, so focussed on mass killing and being a very powerful character, that just makes me wary.  Can't really balance around spamming so many abilities - teleports, blizzards, hammers, whirlwinds, whatever - without making a PvP experience that becomes nothing but a series of twitches until someone screws up.  I know that game.  Click click click click click click click click click - mouse everywhere all over the screen to make sure your character isn't traveling in the same direction for more than a quarter of a second.  Either the PvP suffers like that, or the Diablo experience changes drastically.

Unless they make two entirely different rulesets.

And I just don't see Blizzard ever doing that.

Offline CJ

« Reply #6 on: 11/24/10, 08:07 PM »

You guys are making me scared...

Offline Antheia

« Reply #7 on: 11/24/10, 08:54 PM »

the only way arena would work is if they do what GW2 did and have 2 versions of spells for pve and pvp - and like nil said i doubt they will do that

blizzard isnt about making good games, they are about making money - which is cool and im not saying i wouldnt work there, but its not interesting nor in any way making them a company others look up to

Offline Nandladin

« Reply #8 on: 11/24/10, 09:46 PM »

Quote from: Antheia

the only way arena would work is if they do what GW2 did and have 2 versions of spells for pve and pvp - and like nil said i doubt they will do that

blizzard isnt about making good games, they are about making money - which is cool and im not saying i wouldnt work there, but its not interesting nor in any way making them a company others look up to

I still contend Blizzard is about making good games, but Activision is about making money.

Offline Antheia

« Reply #9 on: 11/24/10, 09:56 PM »

in the end that is one in the same nand

Offline CJ

« Reply #10 on: 11/26/10, 04:14 AM »

While activision and blizzard did merge we still do not see the synthesis of their names, which is a good indicator that blizzard wishes to keep their slate pure of crap. That being said I believe blizzard is willing to throw more money (and thus time) at a project to ensure quality, over making cash, they already are earning a lot from WoW.

Offline Zebrix

• Good-for-Nothing Officer
  • Council
  • Battletag: Zeb#1646
« Reply #11 on: 11/26/10, 12:11 PM »

WoW is still a quality game, but the scope of the playerbase changed. That's the core issue for me. Blizzard decided that their game had a better shot at surviving its mature/old years if it supported the super casuals as the primary customer, and occasionally throw the hardcores a bone like Algalon (or the upcoming Lady Sinestra).

It's a financially motivated decision, and while I may be frustrated about it, I can't justifiably fault them for it. MMOs don't have super long lifespans and WoW is already pushing it. They probably have the beginnings of their next big MMO in development, under wraps, already. 4 content patches in 2 years of Cataclysm expansion is probably gonna be the end of it, so it's not an unexpected call for them that they would go for a development plan that would maximize WoW's profits for the final stretch of its existence.

Offline Saberaen

« Reply #12 on: 11/26/10, 01:22 PM »

Quote from: Zebrimuri

.MMOs don't have super long lifespans

What? EverQuest is still profitable.

Offline kanmers

« Reply #13 on: 07/02/11, 09:51 PM »
fuckk yeaaa diablo3 I hope you are as good as I think you are gonna be.

Offline Zebramints

« Reply #14 on: 07/02/11, 10:25 PM »
fuckk yeaaa diablo3 I hope you are as good as I think you are gonna be.

was there a new announcement about it or something?
Quote from: Shazzia
Think like this is a Medal of Honor given to warriors in the Vietnam War. How would you feel if a year later, these Medal of Honors is also given away to children for completing a 20-bit puzzle in pre-school?

Guy talking about getting Firelord post 4.3

<3 MMO-C