Rank 8
SILVER HAND
Rank 4443
U.S [EN]

Author Topic: Metroid 2 Remake  (Read 855 times)

Offline Altair

• Stone Told Steve Austin
  • Officer
Metroid 2 Remake
« on: 08/07/16, 12:21 PM »
http://metroid2remake.blogspot.com/

If, like me, you're a fan of the 2D Metroid games, this fangame (that was worked on for roughly 7 years) just had its first full version put out yesterday, and so far looks and plays fantastic.

It helps that they remade what I felt was one of the more unique (and creepy) Metroid games, where you actually hunt and kill them and deal with their further evolving forms as you go deeper into their planet.
"I ain't talkin' about chicken n' gravy biatch." ~ Zonty, 2015

Offline Mistahmastah

• Our Special Buddy
Re: Metroid 2 Remake
« Reply #1 on: 08/08/16, 08:34 AM »
Hey storm you should play this based pn your liking whatever that other game was.
Mistahmastah to   -∞% and beyond

Offline Altair

• Officer
« Reply #2 on: 08/08/16, 09:49 AM »
Binged all day yesterday on this game. Level and boss design was phenomenal, and could very easily pass for something made by Nintendo and may actually rank above a couple official titles for me. I'll add more details later.

Basically a 9/10 for me.

Offline Nechahira

« Reply #3 on: 08/08/16, 12:34 PM »
Wow this looks amazing, love Metroid. Gonna try this when I get some spare time for sure. Did they alter/update the musical score alt?

Offline Altair

• Officer
« Reply #4 on: 08/08/16, 02:55 PM »
Wow this looks amazing, love Metroid. Gonna try this when I get some spare time for sure. Did they alter/update the musical score alt?

I can't give a deep opinion here because I had Netflix playing at the same time, but what I did catch were very well-done remixes, particularly the overworld and final boss themes.

Offline Altair

• Officer
« Reply #5 on: 08/08/16, 04:21 PM »
Now that I can give a bit more detail, gonna gush a bit about how this plays compared to other Metroid games (and rating it compared to them), particularly the one it's based on.

Story: It's not deep. Metroid stories never are, but you aren't playing Metroid for a deep narrative. Most games start with Samus being on a mission to kill something and end with the planet exploding (to those of you who have never played a Metroid game (and why the hell haven't you), I'm dead serious on that). You're there to commit literal genocide on the Metroid species and find a rescue team that went missing trying to find a research team that went missing. 7/10 with rice.

Gameplay: Seamless. Plays like the best 2D Metroid games available, possibly better. Fully customizable controls, does well on an XB1 controller, etc. All the fun powerups one would come to expect from Metroid except for a Grappling Beam, but no one fucking likes that gimmick anyway. 9/10.

Level design: This is not the same SR-388 from M2, and only a couple environments are taken straight from the original. And that's a very good thing. For a fan-made game based on a series that doesn't place much stock in puzzles in its 2D games, this has a very healthy amount of well-designed puzzles that will make you put in some work, but never enough to frustrate you. Upgrades are everywhere and are often well-hidden or protected, but never frustratingly so; my first playthrough saw a 90% completion rate even with a couple items I knew I hadn't gone back for yet. Environments are surprisingly varied, and each has its own little ambience to it combined with its music. 9/10.

Music:

I can't give a deep opinion here because I had Netflix playing at the same time, but what I did catch were very well-done remixes, particularly the overworld and final boss themes.

I said this originally, then listened to a good chunk of the game's soundtrack. If you've played Metroid Prime, the soundtrack has a very similar style while still remixing the OST, and that makes for some good shit. Nothing super mindblowing, but a lot of nice touches here and there. 8/10.

Bosses: Holy shit. Assets completely made from scratch, and even adding original fights into the game on top of the metroid boss fights that were already part of the original -- and even the tactics for handling the different metroid forms were completely revamped. You will probably get your ass handed to you once or twice even if you're a seasoned player of these games, and it will be 100% fair, and 100% awesome. Find those upgrades, because you will waste a lot of missiles. Best aspect of this remake by a mile, 10/10.

Overall: 9/10. This was a great way to spend my Sunday, and I'll be playing it more than once because like any good Metroid game, it makes for fun speedrunning. Fans of the series will love it, and those unfamiliar would be tools to not give it a try, because it's free.
« Last Edit: 08/08/16, 04:23 PM by Altair »

Offline Haseo

• Switches to Adds
  • *Throws Keyboard*
« Reply #6 on: 08/08/16, 06:30 PM »
Story: It's not deep. Metroid stories never are, but you aren't playing Metroid for a deep narrative. Most games start with Samus being on a mission to kill something and end with the planet exploding (to those of you who have never played a Metroid game (and why the hell haven't you), I'm dead serious on that). You're there to commit literal genocide on the Metroid species and find a rescue team that went missing trying to find a research team that went missing. 7/10 with rice.

Yo man, Other M's story was extremely deep and intuitive. Clearly best story ever in any Metroid game Kappa

Offline Zebramints

« Reply #7 on: 08/08/16, 07:37 PM »
They got lawyered up the ass and now I can't download........
Quote from: Shazzia
Think like this is a Medal of Honor given to warriors in the Vietnam War. How would you feel if a year later, these Medal of Honors is also given away to children for completing a 20-bit puzzle in pre-school?

Guy talking about getting Firelord post 4.3

<3 MMO-C

Offline Altair

• Officer
« Reply #8 on: 08/08/16, 08:36 PM »
I'm happy to share the files with anyone over Skype or something.

Edit: https://mega.nz/#!7FshhILY!O_PoEOyawDQapK8ff4VLexVOst9dL_fCpaXFUrEF12A
« Last Edit: 08/08/16, 08:51 PM by Altair »

Offline Zebramints

« Reply #9 on: 08/08/16, 08:58 PM »
thanks
Quote from: Shazzia
Think like this is a Medal of Honor given to warriors in the Vietnam War. How would you feel if a year later, these Medal of Honors is also given away to children for completing a 20-bit puzzle in pre-school?

Guy talking about getting Firelord post 4.3

<3 MMO-C

Offline Zonty

• Resident Tromboner
« Reply #10 on: 08/09/16, 01:12 AM »
Piratatian
When I show up to raid nights I am there to have fun, not to have a tantrum-prone, know-it-all diva decide to show up on some nights and detract from my enjoyment of raiding.

Offline Mistahmastah

• Our Special Buddy
« Reply #11 on: 08/09/16, 01:22 AM »
They got lawyered up the ass and now I can't download........
Nintendo super serial about that ip shit.

Offline Altair

• Officer
« Reply #12 on: 08/09/16, 05:37 AM »
Piratatian

A) Can't pirate something that was already free
B) Because my name is or was Altatian right, god you suck at this

Nintendo super serial about that ip shit.

There's actually some odd shenanigans where it may not be a legit C&D because it's not straight from Nintendo of America, so it may have been sent by someone who doesn't actually have the authorization to do so

Offline Mistahmastah

• Our Special Buddy
« Reply #13 on: 08/09/16, 02:09 PM »
I just like how all these remakes of Nintendo games get taken down but Project M was relatively unscathed. All those Mario and LoZ ones were removed pretty quick Iirc.

Offline Zonty

• Resident Tromboner
« Reply #14 on: 08/10/16, 01:40 AM »
Pixelmon is still going strong lol
When I show up to raid nights I am there to have fun, not to have a tantrum-prone, know-it-all diva decide to show up on some nights and detract from my enjoyment of raiding.