Rank 22
SILVER HAND
Rank 5519
U.S [EN]

Author Topic: Legion: Launch, First Week, and Other  (Read 1396 times)

Offline Stormaker

• Officer
  • Storm#1958
Legion: Launch, First Week, and Other
« on: 07/08/16, 08:10 PM »
Greetings!

Favorite beta moment so far: http://i.imgur.com/Dbj9pc7.jpg

I have been dropping random info across threads and in whispers, and I’m not sure what I’ve told to who or where at this point, so I’m going to throw it all in one place. If anyone has Legion related questions that aren’t answered, let me know, and I’ll check it out in the beta and get back to you. Most of this shit is common sense stuff that you figure out pretty quick, but knowing it beforehand can help get a leg up, if you’re into that.

LAUNCH!

4 starting zones: Val’saharah, Azsuna, Highmountain, Stormheim. You pick the one you want, finish it, and move to the next. Each zone has a final quest that rewards an ilvl 800 item; however, 3 of those quests require doing the zone’s dungeon to get the reward. Val’sharah’s final quest does not, and it is a chest piece. I will personally be starting there, and I would suggest it to others as well, along with making sure you have your 4p from the other slots so you can replace chest. You’ll end Val’S at 102, and won’t start to replace your 740+ gear until ~106.

At level 107, you’ll be able to start a quest called “Falling Star”, I think. This quest rewards an ilvl 840 helm at the end, but isn’t completed until 110. There is a Broken Shore-esque scenario near the end that is rather difficult solo, so you may want to knock it out with other people.

As a result, my planned leveling path is Val’Sharah > the others > Falling Star > Secondary Artifacts, and to hit 110 somewhere in that path (I meant to do a dry run of it when they did the legion Launch, but time didn’t permit it, so I’ll test some other time). Profession quests unlock as you level, but they take you to various zones and are very time consuming for travel and their completion, so I’ll be waiting until I finish other stuff, because Mythic gear will outstrip crafted rather fast, and I can then use crafted to fill gaps.

First Week:

Mythic dungeons will be available the first week, and they can be completed with a group as low as 810 without much hassle. They are roughly 10-15 ilvls more difficult than heroic, in terms of numbers, but heroic requires 810 to queue anyways, and is pretty easy. Base mythic is 840, and there are 10 mythic dungeons to do. Weekly lockout, so my plan is to get them all done pretty early to make Suramar questing easier.

SURAMAR – This place is both cool, annoying, long, and brutal. I love it. I am currently 825 on the beta since I haven’t put much into gearing, and questing is still sorta slow. This is Legion’s max level zone, and it shows. Primary thing to watch is Ancient Mana, which will all be explained in game, but short story is that it’s a currency, and has a very low cap while questing, that increases as you go. Sometimes you will get items that you can click to get mana from, but I suggest hoarding them until you actually find yourself short for a turn in, because mana caps easily and you dun wanna waste it.

Class Order Campaign – This will take roughly 2 weeks according to the accounts of it that I’ve heard. It has small time gates in the form of order hall missions that take 2-12h+ hours each. Upon completion of the Campaign, you unlock your weapon’s third relic, which is a large power boost. Stay on top of the Campaign and you may have it finished right before mythic raids unlock. (The Order Hall missions are waaaay slower than garrisons. You only have to look maybe every 12h to stay on top of it)

World Quests:

Gear rewards from world quests seem to always attempt to give +15 to what you’re wearing (stopping at 835), and the chance to roll even higher. IE: ilvl 800 cloak equipped, WQ offers an 815, 820 equip, 835 WQ, 840 equip, 835 WQ. Use it to your advantage when you can.

Gives other various useful rewards, and pay attention to the daily emissaries, as their rewards box has a chance to have good stuff like Artifact Power.

Artifacts (raiders beware):

(All costs are referring to Artifact Power, acquired through quests, items, and some rares)
When you finish leveling, you can expect your artifact to be at rank 12. The first 12 ranks finish quickly, and cost 300-900. Rank 13 jumps to 7k, 14 to 9k, and 15 to 11k. Upon completion of Suramar main quests, you should get Rank 14. Personally, I have a big power boost at Rank 17, and that is where I’ll break off and dump the first 12 ranks into my resto artifact, and then go back to main until 21 or 25.

Once you have exhausted main quest lines and your primary sources become dungeons and world quests, you can expect between 2-5000 a day, depending on just how much you do. This will mean that you will get a new rank every 2 days or so, at most, and you will want to focus your efforts into your primary artifact and be aware of your major power boosts.

Artifact Knowledge – Currently 25 levels, this will increase the rate you gain Artifact Power (ArP). Each level will initially take 5 days to complete. The first two level are 25% and 50%, and level 10/11 are 850%/1100. It ramps up a lot after a while, but does mean that initial gains will be rather low and make offspec leveling more difficult.

Relics – Each artifact has 3 relic slots. 2 open initially, the third unlocked upon Class order hall completion. Relics add item levels to your artifact, and give a +1 to minor traits. Each relic has a type, and can sometimes be used in multiple artifacts. For shaman, mine look like:
Enh: Fire – Iron – Storm
Resto: Life – Frost – Life
Ele: Storm – Frost – Storm
If you get a relic that isn’t an upgrade, don’t forget to check your other artifacts to see if it fits, if you care about em. I haven’t seen a WQ with a relic attached yet, I think they mostly come from dungeons and raids. They also seem suspiciously absent in Suramar main quests.

That’s everything I can think of right now. Do with it what you will.

Come launch night, I plan to hang out in mumble, level, and do dungeons as I finish zones. If there’s interest, we can throw together a thread for getting groups together for launch night and those early undergeared mythic dungeon runs. Cheers.
« Last Edit: 07/08/16, 08:13 PM by Stormaker »

Offline Haseo

• Switches to Adds
  • *Throws Keyboard*
Re: Legion: Launch, First Week, and Other
« Reply #1 on: 07/08/16, 08:42 PM »
Storm dropping the ultra knowledge bombs!

The major thing I've noticed while leveling has been, there's so much stuff that pops up while you're leveling that it mindgames you while rushing to 110. I mean rushing is still probably a good idea, but you still have to fully finish pretty much everything to get / do everything before the gear / artifact grind begins. It's a real toughie to decide what to do and where to go, and I believe it's a damn good thing.
« Last Edit: 07/08/16, 08:52 PM by Haseo »

Offline Jedrilm

• The Wonder from Down Under
  • Officer
« Reply #2 on: 07/08/16, 08:44 PM »
For that first week, despite not being one of y'all, I'll be available to tank/dps dungeons and things. Fucking lord knows it'll be easier then finding decent groups that don't know about my problems (fucking internet). Also damn storm, this some handy gear info.
(@'.')=@@=('.'@) [Fist Bump]

Offline Minatron

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 07/08/16, 09:22 PM »
Great write-up, Storm.  Thanks for taking the time to put that all together for those of us not worthy of beta access.
Battletag: Haleaux#1145

Offline Altair

• Stone Told Steve Austin
  • Officer
« Reply #4 on: 07/08/16, 09:57 PM »
Good stuff, dude. Appreciate it.
"I ain't talkin' about chicken n' gravy biatch." ~ Zonty, 2015

Offline Spacejam

• Cancer Incarnate
« Reply #5 on: 07/09/16, 01:24 AM »
tl;dr

Quote from: 'Blizzard - August 2016'
This time around there won't be a content drought.

Offline Stormaker

• Officer
  • Storm#1958
« Reply #6 on: 07/09/16, 10:20 AM »
Yeah, Haseo. The other part of that that I love is that there are random quests out in the world with no lead ins, and you just gotta find em. Sir Finley Murgleton is off at a random beach and offers a small 6 quest or so chain. It's fun to find stuff like that.

Offline Stormaker

• Officer
  • Storm#1958
« Reply #7 on: 07/09/16, 12:03 PM »
It takes 105k ArP to go from rank 24 to rank 25, where my last big breakpoint is. There's a handy calculator on WoWhead if you're interested in mapping out your artifact path. Respeccing your artifact is not something you want to do, because it costs as much as the next trait would, so planning ahead is good.

http://legion.wowhead.com/artifact-calc/shaman/enhancement/JVD6IpA4MBOEAThQE4YBOHATiAE4kDOKAziwM40DOPAzkQM6IBVHAQ

Offline Nixorrell

• Administrator
  • Nix#1605
« Reply #8 on: 07/09/16, 01:06 PM »
I always enjoyed the Path of the Titans concept, since it reminded me of AA in EverQuest -- I dig how we're getting some of that through artifact weapons.

For those who've never heard of it, AA = Alternate Advancement, where you set a portion of your exp (obvz 100% at max level) toward an alternate XP bar that nets you level points to spend on like all sorts of things like new abilities and enhancements to everything from DPS to tradeskills. Gave people another timesink/reason to keep playing to fill them bars.

Offline Stormaker

• Officer
  • Storm#1958
« Reply #9 on: 07/09/16, 01:33 PM »
AA was my favorite part of EQ, playing ranger and barb. The unlimited arrows perk was great. I'm still hoping whatever the next big thing for D3 is features some sort of AA with your skills, where you can improve them over time with continued usage or something.

Offline Stormaker

• Officer
  • Storm#1958
« Reply #10 on: 07/09/16, 02:08 PM »
Minor updates:

World quests can give relics, just got one. The item level increase seems a little less consistent than it originally did, but the concept is the same.

Don't go out of your way to kill rares. Most of them eventually become the subject of world quests.

Offline Nixorrell

• Administrator
  • Nix#1605
« Reply #11 on: 07/09/16, 03:10 PM »
There was that magical point in every young ranger's life during PoP when they got Endless Quiver, Archery Mastery 3, and scrounged up money for a Featherwood or Stonewood bow.... das it mane.  Kreygasm
« Last Edit: 07/09/16, 03:22 PM by Nixorrell »

Offline Solkanar

• 200 proof
« Reply #12 on: 07/09/16, 07:08 PM »
It takes 105k ArP to go from rank 24 to rank 25, where my last big breakpoint is. There's a handy calculator on WoWhead if you're interested in mapping out your artifact path. Respeccing your artifact is not something you want to do, because it costs as much as the next trait would, so planning ahead is good.

http://legion.wowhead.com/artifact-calc/shaman/enhancement/JVD6IpA4MBOEAThQE4YBOHATiAE4kDOKAziwM40DOPAzkQM6IBVHAQ

ffs storm how much beta are you playing?

Mind you Ive leveled from 110 on a premade char before char copy and got to like ilvl 815, playing here and there. Just copied over my mage to go straight fire including leveling ( I did arcane originally before it became evident fire was the spec to be ) and it is SOOOO much easier leveling copying my ilvl 745 mage from the standard ilvl 685 char copy.

Still, don't burn yourself out to early Storm

Offline Stormaker

• Officer
  • Storm#1958
« Reply #13 on: 07/09/16, 07:12 PM »
The burnout was mostly job related, Solk, and Warlords just sucks. But I'm being careful with it, I'm keeping myself away from the majority of dungeons and haven't touched the raids. Right now I'm just spending time exploring all this stuff and fiddling with quests, not really trying to complete anything. My artifact is only level 15, the 25 comment was a reference to my post. Exploration in beta is particularly fun, because there's no pressure to be getting power boosts for raid. I made it past an invisible wall into a sweet Legion city that I hope they have plans for.

For those of you that like all the artifact appearances and such, a reddit user put together a list of where to find the hidden appearances that aren't listed. https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/4mcdvn/hidden_artifact_skins/

Also, I have to revise another statement. I am apparently not even halfway done with Suramar main quests. So it's possible artifacts will hit 16 or maybe even 17 before you exhaust Suramar and slow down to just world quests. I probably won't play all the way through it, because there are a handful of rep gates, but they seem to pass easily.
« Last Edit: 07/09/16, 07:20 PM by Stormaker »

Offline Stormaker

• Officer
  • Storm#1958
« Reply #14 on: 07/09/16, 09:06 PM »
Tried a random heroic as resto because there was a bag and I hadn't healed yet. Fun news: Bags give a BoA item worth 100 ArP. Not effected by Artifact Knowledge, but still enough that you could stockpile them and boost a level 100 character's artifact to 12 before you get started leveling.

Offline Stormaker

• Officer
  • Storm#1958
« Reply #15 on: 07/12/16, 05:00 PM »
The new Dal ring that costs 250k and is ilvl 850 only requires level 101. So if you're planning to get it, grab it early.

Offline Haseo

• Switches to Adds
  • *Throws Keyboard*
« Reply #16 on: 07/12/16, 05:14 PM »
It's good for early leveling, but that's all it's good for. It's worse than most other pre-raid rings, especially ones with sockets. Still not worth the gold IMO.

Just FYI for anyone who actually wants the ring, the NPC is on a 12 hour spawn timer and only lasts for 15 minutes once someone buys something.
« Last Edit: 07/12/16, 05:26 PM by Haseo »

Offline Solkanar

• 200 proof
« Reply #17 on: 07/12/16, 05:38 PM »
The new Dal ring that costs 250k and is ilvl 850 only requires level 101. So if you're planning to get it, grab it early.

DAMN.......so not worth it unless they tack another achievement associated with it

Offline Jedrilm

• Officer
« Reply #18 on: 07/12/16, 05:44 PM »
DAMN.......so not worth it unless they tack another achievement associated with it

Which they had better, I enjoy wasting gold for points.

Offline Stormaker

• Officer
  • Storm#1958
« Reply #19 on: 07/12/16, 05:45 PM »
There is currently no achievement, but I plan to buy it for the early ilvl boost, and the second Dal teleport is really handy. Of note, there is no 30s wait to cast the teleport when equipping the ring, like some other TP items have.

Thanks to the wonderful new crafting possibilities, I think the gold will remake itself just from the early boost.

Offline Zonty

• Resident Tromboner
« Reply #20 on: 07/12/16, 05:47 PM »
you get a 20 min dalaran hearthstone at lvl 100...
When I show up to raid nights I am there to have fun, not to have a tantrum-prone, know-it-all diva decide to show up on some nights and detract from my enjoyment of raiding.

Offline Stormaker

• Officer
  • Storm#1958
« Reply #21 on: 07/12/16, 05:59 PM »
Yes Zonty, that's why I said second. Sometimes you go one place to do something, then need to go somewhere else and don't wanna walk out of a cave. (I'm also lazy, and have a full bag of teleport items for various places)

For those that don't know, yes, there's a Dal hearthstone on the same CD/cast time as the garrison one, gotten immediately after the Broken Shore scenario.

Also, once you unlock World Quests by hitting friendly with all the reputations, you receive a Flight Master's Whistle on a 5m CD that takes you to the nearest FP. It's pretty great.
« Last Edit: 07/12/16, 06:02 PM by Stormaker »

Offline Jedrilm

• Officer
« Reply #22 on: 07/12/16, 06:12 PM »
Also, once you unlock World Quests by hitting friendly with all the reputations, you receive a Flight Master's Whistle on a 5m CD that takes you to the nearest FP. It's pretty great.

Where do I throw my money for this? Someone give me somewhere to insert my wallet.

Offline Stormaker

• Officer
  • Storm#1958
« Reply #23 on: 07/12/16, 06:28 PM »
Nowhere, it's a quest reward. You get it after hitting friendly with the Broken Isles reputations (which is the requirement to unlock World Quests).

Offline Stormaker

• Officer
  • Storm#1958
« Reply #24 on: 07/13/16, 07:30 PM »
I forgot to mention this one:

Don't sell or DE equipment you craft, you can obliterate (new thing) it. It's how you make the crafted item upgrades.