Rank 15
SILVER HAND
Rank 5480
U.S [EN]

Author Topic: Warcraft: The Movie: The Thread  (Read 636 times)

Offline Nixorrell

• Administrator
  • Nix#1605
Warcraft: The Movie: The Thread
« on: 06/10/16, 03:01 PM »
Is this joint worth seeing? It looks like it'll be visually impressive and alright if you're a Blizzard fan, but mediocre if you're not.

Offline Zonty

• Resident Tromboner
Re: Warcraft: The Movie: The Thread
« Reply #1 on: 06/10/16, 04:29 PM »
Saw it last night. I enjoyed it but I can definitely see where some of the criticism comes from. Some of the camera work (cuts etc) just feels off.  To me it felt like there was a lot of stuff they don't explain about the lore/universe and you just have to accept that.

On the plus side all the Mage shit is amazing. Holy fuck I wish they would import that teleport animation into the game.
When I show up to raid nights I am there to have fun, not to have a tantrum-prone, know-it-all diva decide to show up on some nights and detract from my enjoyment of raiding.

Offline Toma

« Reply #2 on: 06/10/16, 09:19 PM »
Worth a watch. I saw it last night. The first half of the movie feels rushed. There were some bad cuts like Zonty said, but it is an enjoyable movie.

Offline Zonty

• Resident Tromboner
« Reply #3 on: 06/11/16, 01:31 AM »
Interesting to note all the critics give it low scores but all the reviews from people that saw it average 8 or 9/10
When I show up to raid nights I am there to have fun, not to have a tantrum-prone, know-it-all diva decide to show up on some nights and detract from my enjoyment of raiding.

Offline Solkanar

• 200 proof
« Reply #4 on: 06/11/16, 02:04 AM »
I loved the movie.  BUT....if you don't know the lore or the characters stuff is not explained very well. Fel corruption was a HUGE part of it but its origins were never explained, a few mentions of demonic activity and they really never got into WHY medivh went crazy and opened the dark portal.

The CGI  was great and they did a good job of sticking to the lore ( except a few small things I wont ruin ) but I thought they made the movie flow better.

I think the critics hated it because , it really was hard to follow if you had no idea of the backstory.I ended up having to explain quite a bit to my wife and kids at dinner after wards. Something like lord of the rings , they did a much better job with the story and explaining things even if you never read the books. I think the movie would have been much better if it was 2 and a half hours instead of 2 and they didn't rush some parts and elaborated and explained some of the backstory. I really think they just squeezed too much into 2 hours.

All in all its a really good movie that was very enjoyable to watch if you know the lore behind Warcraft. Everyone  here does and will enjoy it a lot.
« Last Edit: 06/11/16, 02:08 AM by Solkanar »

Offline Mistahmastah

• Our Special Buddy
« Reply #5 on: 06/11/16, 08:25 AM »
Tl:dr not enough exposition
Mistahmastah to   -∞% and beyond

Offline Girlfriend

• Mary Sue
« Reply #6 on: 06/11/16, 01:20 PM »
For a movie based off a video game it's one of those fantasy concepts that it just assumes the audience already understands.

Offline Nixorrell

• Administrator
  • Nix#1605
« Reply #7 on: 06/11/16, 02:06 PM »
Interesting to note all the critics give it low scores but all the reviews from people that saw it average 8 or 9/10

these days tbh imho fam, that's how you know things are good -- just like with vidya games. I can't say I trust the "critics" a whole lot.

Offline Haseo

• Switches to Adds
  • *Throws Keyboard*
« Last Edit: 06/11/16, 02:24 PM by Haseo »

Offline Jedrilm

• The Wonder from Down Under
  • Officer
« Reply #9 on: 06/11/16, 05:38 PM »
Gonna see it next week for the Australia release, none of you be cunts and ruin anything. I would say spoil anything but I do have an idea of what happens, just gonna refresh myself with the movie.
(@'.')=@@=('.'@) [Fist Bump]

Offline Altair

• Stone Told Steve Austin
  • Officer
« Reply #10 on: 06/12/16, 07:35 PM »
Solid 7.5. Lots of potential.
"I ain't talkin' about chicken n' gravy biatch." ~ Zonty, 2015

Online Vaulkner

• Gambling Commander
« Reply #11 on: 06/14/16, 07:26 PM »
Just got home from seeing it. Coming from a wow player and since I'm into the whole universe of what they showed, I thought it was pretty good. But I can definitely tell that if someone had no basic knowledge of the lore or the characters that they wouldn't have a clue as to what was going on.

Offline Nixorrell

• Administrator
  • Nix#1605
« Reply #12 on: 06/18/16, 02:07 PM »
Just got back from seeing it. I found the movie quite visually impressive, and it was a treat to see some of the Warcraft universe in such sweet grafics. Non-players -- and maybe even those who didn't play RTS + Vanilla/TBC -- definitely wouldn't get as rich an experience.

That said, I've forgotten have the shit from the RTS games, etc., so it's time to go review some of Nobbel's lore vids.

P.S. not really the right time frame, but tfw no tauren :<
« Last Edit: 06/18/16, 02:11 PM by Nixorrell »

Offline Zebramints

« Reply #13 on: 06/18/16, 06:15 PM »
I finally got around to seeing it the other day as well. I feel that it would be almost impossible to do Warcraft justice on the big screen unless there were at least 1-2 movies to explain the background for people who didn't play the games. The biggest issues the movie had plot wise was not explaining why Draenor was dying, and why Medivh was corrupt. But you can't properly explain those points without needing to explain parts of the Warcraft origin story, the Lich King story arc, and War of the Ancients.

They did about as good of a job as they could all things considered.

Also what was up with that box? I don't remember that.
« Last Edit: 06/18/16, 06:20 PM by Zebramints »
Quote from: Shazzia
Think like this is a Medal of Honor given to warriors in the Vietnam War. How would you feel if a year later, these Medal of Honors is also given away to children for completing a 20-bit puzzle in pre-school?

Guy talking about getting Firelord post 4.3

<3 MMO-C