Rank 4
SILVER HAND
Rank 3727
U.S [EN]

Author Topic: LF "Idiot's Guide To Tanking"  (Read 6198 times)

Offline BigByotch

LF "Idiot's Guide To Tanking"
« on: 06/02/10, 01:46 PM »
At about 2am this morning, going on an accumulated 6-8 hrs of sleep for the past few days, I blew 1k friggin' gold on dual-spec for Lirisa (something I would never have done had I been SANE)....sigh.  

Anyways, I then spent the next half-hour copying Sab's prot spec, thinking it would magically make me a tank. :P  At about 2:45am, I queued...only to immediately find out I'd never leveled a one-handed weapon. >.<

I have no clue what to do with this "other" spec.  I'll most likely use it to heal, but I already have Dar for that.  I thought I'd give tanking a try, if only to see what it's like.  I've heard of TankSpot.com, but I was wondering if any of you awesome pally tanks could give me a few pointers.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thx!

~BB

*Edit: spelling...see! I need sleep. :(

Offline Shatner

• Ginger & Redhead Connoisseur
Re: LF "Idiot's Guide To Tanking"
« Reply #1 on: 06/02/10, 02:09 PM »

Any of our paladins are likely able to help...I wouldn't trust my own advice because I haven't played with my paladin seriously since TBC.  I can probably answer specific questions in a pinch though.

I can sympathize, I got no more than four hours last night, and I feel like awful (sic).

Offline Saberaen

« Reply #2 on: 06/02/10, 02:26 PM »

Hand of Reckoning and Avenger's Shield to pull. Alternate six and nine second cooldown abilities when tanking - typically something like Hammer of the Righteous, Consecration, Shield of Righteousness, Holy Shield, Hammer of the Righteous, Judgment, and so on. Use Holy Wrath to grab large packs if they're undead or demons.

Make sure you keep Righteous Fury on and run Blessing of Sanctuary on yourself. You should also Sacred Shield yourself unless you're with a holy paladin. Try not to let Divine Plea drop, but don't pull more than your group can handle. I recommend creating a power aura for Sacred Shield and Divine Plea so you know if they drop.

Use Hand of Reckoning to taunt single targets if you lose aggro - use Righteous Defense to taunt up to three targets. Note that Hand of Reckoning will do damage (and hence threat) if an enemy is not targeting you. Righteous Defense will not.

Take the highest ilevel tanking gear you can get. Gem for stamina - socket bonuses on red and yellow should generally be taken if they're stamina. Try to hit cap (8%) and get 25 expertise after the Seal of Corruption glyph. A block value or strength libram is preferable to the more recent dodge libram for 5-mans.

Offline Iqo

« Reply #3 on: 06/02/10, 03:11 PM »
Glyph and talent for the mana return ability, cant remember what the hell its called at the moment, then use it on the pull along with wings for extra threat, your bubble debuff will probably drop before you need it again.

Offline BigByotch

« Reply #4 on: 06/02/10, 04:15 PM »
Wow Sab!  This is very, very helpful!  Thanks a bunch!  I will let you know how it goes.

Iqo - Doh! I forgot to glyph!  Thanks for reminding me.  LoL, it's not looking too good atm. :D

Offline Criph

• ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
  • Council
  • “But I never fall,” he said, falling.
« Reply #5 on: 06/02/10, 09:45 PM »

Quote from: Iqo
Glyph and talent for the mana return ability, cant remember what the hell its called at the moment, then use it on the pull along with wings for extra threat, your bubble debuff will probably drop before you need it again.

Divine Pee.  It's warm and smells like holy berries, you can't miss it.

Offline BigByotch

« Reply #6 on: 06/03/10, 02:58 PM »
Quote from: Criph

Quote from: Iqo

Divine Pee.  It's warm and smells like holy berries, you can't miss it.

Eeeww!