Rank 49
SILVER HAND
Rank 9457
U.S [EN]

Author Topic: MapTools  (Read 874 times)

Offline lazurd

MapTools
« on: 05/31/10, 08:32 PM »

MapTools is an open source, multi platform, Java based virtual tabletop for good ole' pen and paper roleplaying games (such as Dungeons and Dragons).  As far as what sorts of things it can do it's probably best seen in the introduction video.

I'm posting about this because Woopsie and I are planning on running a 4th Edition Dungeons and Dragon's campaign with it (currently full atm).  We'll have to report how it works during actual gameplay, but it appears to be pretty solid during testing.  There are also frameworks that other users have created which distill much of the rules into simple macros, automating the dice rolling /math significantly. 

All Players should watch:

For the record until otherwise stated we are using (there is a newer version out already but we haven't tested it yet with the framework we're using):

More later.

Offline Lepard

Re: MapTools
« Reply #1 on: 06/01/10, 12:57 PM »

Hey!  We have been playing using Maptool since our DM moved away.  It works great for us, we also play dnd 4e.  The macros leave more time for character building and immersing yourself in the game, rather than worrying about a lot of the mechanics.  I am working on a new campaign right now, so would be interested in any new ideas you guys come up with!

Offline Woopsie

« Reply #2 on: 06/01/10, 04:56 PM »

What lvl guys are you trying to make a campaign for?

Offline Lepard

« Reply #3 on: 06/02/10, 11:40 AM »

One...lol....this is a new semi comedic campaign, I always write in the posibility for fun as well as death defying deeds.  My last campaign, just ended, included fun with a sheep that latched on to a main character and caused hilarity, an innkeeper who destroyed the parties clothes accidentally while trying to clean them, and replaced them with entirely inappropriate garb, and so on...

Offline Zebrix

• Good-for-Nothing Officer
  • Council
  • Battletag: Zeb#1646
« Reply #4 on: 06/02/10, 01:04 PM »

Sounds almost like a Discworld campaign to me. Just toss in an 80 year old former barbarian still clinging to his glory days, a completely incompetent wizard with a sentient luggage that follows him everywhere and a game world that's basically a pizza shaped planet, carried by 4 elephants standing on top of a giant sea turtle that swims across space, and you're good to go.

Offline Lepard

« Reply #5 on: 06/02/10, 07:07 PM »

LOL! Well thats the flavor of what I try for, but I do impose serious challenges too, and I like problem solving.  I also like the element of surprise, so I have put in serious and emotionally challenging stuff on occasion too.  I have played in too many fight/kill fight/kill, win the great treasure dungeons to be somewhat jaded by them.  My last character, who is still living and may come out to play again, is an middle aged plump nun/teacher, who has grown into a serious paladin.  From humble begginings...