Rank 8
SILVER HAND
Rank 4626
U.S [EN]

Author Topic: Post your Desktop!  (Read 5821 times)

Offline Zebramints

Re: Post your Desktop!
« Reply #25 on: 11/20/12, 09:04 PM »
My Paris trip was very interesting. After seeing the city, we took a train to Disneyland there. Along the way, some black guy who looked like a hobo boarded the train and started talking really loud to everybody, pacing up and down, acting very aggressive. Of course I had forgotten French by that age but my parents speak the language. They looked really unnerved the entire time.

As it turned out, the guy was an amateur actor and he was acting out the role of a criminal who was hijacking the train with a planted bomb. He kinda went around with his hat afterwards and asked for tips, even. Fucking nutjob.

I guess people were just kinda used to amateur actors doing that back then so like every local had the guy figured out a couple of seconds in and he collected a lot of tips. Didn't get jack shit from my parents. Thinking back on it, I'm actually really surprised nobody called the cops or anything. I feel like if that had happened in the current post-9/11 world we live in, someone would have tackled the guy and another immediately called the authorities. Crazy stuff.

They only would have called the cops if it was you or your parents doing the acting

<3

Just the racist world we live in
Quote from: Shazzia
Think like this is a Medal of Honor given to warriors in the Vietnam War. How would you feel if a year later, these Medal of Honors is also given away to children for completing a 20-bit puzzle in pre-school?

Guy talking about getting Firelord post 4.3

<3 MMO-C

Offline Zinien

« Reply #26 on: 02/04/13, 12:47 PM »
Josh Marshall

Offline Zebrix

• Good-for-Nothing Officer
  • Council
  • Battletag: Zeb#1646
« Reply #27 on: 02/05/13, 12:32 AM »
Recently got caught up with Doctor Who episodes, and acquired a new desktop in the process.

Tenth Doctor will be missed dearly.

Offline Zebrix

• Council
« Reply #28 on: 03/03/13, 03:03 PM »
Motivated by how Windows doesn't play well with the Unix systems I constantly have to remotely code for, I managed to install MacOSX Mountain Lion on my PC at home. it's now dual-booting successfully with Windows 8, and the damn thing is working so well that part of me is considering a more permanent switch by buying it a separate SSD.

Here's the desktop.

Offline Criph

• ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
  • Council
  • “But I never fall,” he said, falling.
« Reply #29 on: 03/03/13, 03:22 PM »
Hackintosh terrorist!

Offline Zebrix

• Council
« Reply #30 on: 03/03/13, 04:49 PM »
Hackintosh terrorist!
I used the iATKOS build. They did a helluva job with it. After the installation, everything except sound was working out of the box, and all it took to fix that was a replacement kext. And these people do it for fun, on their spare time. They pushed the iATKOS ML2 version literally a week after the 10.8.2 update.

Goes to show that it would take very very little effort on Apple's part to bring their OS into the desktop PC market in direct competition with Microsoft, but then they wouldn't be able to charge people obscene amount of money for the exact same hardware you can get elsewhere for a fraction of the cost. The desktop I'm working on right now was built for under $1500 and it blows any reasonable Mac Pro build out of the water.

Fun-fact: The iATKOS team is Turkish. >.>
« Last Edit: 03/03/13, 05:00 PM by Zebrix »

Offline Criph

• ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
  • Council
« Reply #31 on: 03/03/13, 05:26 PM »
The Mac Pro is so far behind right now, and it irritates the fuck out of me.  I've contemplated building a hackintosh for editing, but work just handed me all this new mac gear, so I'll hold off and see what Apple does with the Mac Pro line.  I have a feeling they're going to dump it or replace it with something only expandable by thunderbolt (possibly the new iMacs).  Which isn't a bad idea for piecing together something incredibly powerful, it just needs to happen faster.

Offline Zebrix

• Council
« Reply #32 on: 03/03/13, 07:19 PM »
I've contemplated building a hackintosh for editing
After putting myself through this exercise, I'm honestly convinced that the only reason to pay the premium cost of Apple hardware is to get the customer support that comes with it.

Otherwise, Apple has a tendency of using at least like one or two iteration old hardware. They slapped nVidia 650Ms into brand new MacBook Pros when high end Windows ultrabooks were already using 665M for half a year. iMacs always come from behind the same way and they've followed the trend with Mac Pros as well back when the line was still getting regular upgrades. Mac Pro's saving grace has generally been the use of Quattro line of GFX cards and server-grade processes, which tend to be updated a helluva lot slower than consumer-grade components - so the outdated hardware doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. Either way, I have a hard time imagining how you wouldn't be able to beat their newest iteration with off-the-shelf desktop components for a fraction of the cost.

all this new mac gear,
What kinda goodies did you get?
« Last Edit: 03/03/13, 07:33 PM by Zebrix »

Offline Criph

• ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
  • Council
« Reply #33 on: 03/03/13, 08:17 PM »
What kinda goodies did you get?

Randomly handed me a maxed 15" Retina MBP and another 27" Thunderbolt display on Friday.  I love my 2011 17" MBP and I've upgraded it quite a bit (one of the last models where you actually could), but the Retina is actually pretty impressive so far.

Offline Zebrix

• Council
« Reply #34 on: 03/03/13, 10:18 PM »
Retina displays are crazy. My PhD advisor has one of those 30" Dell UltraSharp (2560x1600) monitors for his office workstation. That's impressive on its own right, but retina display seriously blows your mind when you realize that Apple has packed the same number of pixels on a 13" display. That's less than half the size of the Dell monitor.

I can't wait for those monitors (and also 4K LED TVs) to get cheaper over the next few years. 1080p is so old now. It's time the entire industry moved onto 200+ PPI displays. It fundamentally affects the way we use them arguably more than any other component.

Offline Karhazn

• The Eternal Recruit
« Reply #35 on: 03/03/13, 11:27 PM »
Zeb, I am disappointed that you didn't dual boot any sort of linux OS. Either way, bash shell is the sex when it comes to any sort of programming.

If you're doing python (you're doing python right?) get either emacs and set that up or sublime. Both are free, both are amazing.

Offline Zebramints

« Reply #36 on: 03/03/13, 11:40 PM »
That new chrome book that came out last week is crazy, it has a higher pixel density than the current line of apple products
Think like this is a Medal of Honor given to warriors in the Vietnam War. How would you feel if a year later, these Medal of Honors is also given away to children for completing a 20-bit puzzle in pre-school?

<3 MMO-C

Offline Zebrix

• Council
« Reply #37 on: 03/04/13, 12:43 AM »
Zeb, I am disappointed that you didn't dual boot any sort of linux OS. Either way, bash shell is the sex when it comes to any sort of programming.

If you're doing python (you're doing python right?) get either emacs and set that up or sublime. Both are free, both are amazing.
I have a Linux Mint 14 boot on here too. I just never use it because the UI gets on my nerves. I was never a fan of KDE, Gnome just feels like a cheap OSX knock-off and this new Cinnamon desktop they have for Mint honestly looks like Windows XP of all things. Ubuntu's Unity isn't half bad but it's still Gnome with a shiny overlay. Compared to all those, the level of polish in OSX is really pleasant, and it has all the bash shell goodies that I need for remote programming. You gotta hand it to Apple there.

As far as the language goes, I'm all over the place dude. I actively code in Python, C, C++, Fortran (77, 90, 95, 2003 and 2008) and every now and then, also MatLab (though it might as well be dumbed down C). Python is actually used the least for my purposes, because it's too damn inefficient and you can't really parallelize it across thousands of compute nodes in our supercomputer here the way you can with the other languages. It's primarily used for fron-end GUI applications that sit on top of all the actual computational code we write.

I'm kinda caught between Sublime and emacs though. I love Sublime, been using it for a while now even on Windows, so I made sure to install that and make the symlink for bash shell goodies. On the other hand, I have to manage massive CFD/FEA libraries with thousands of files and emacs has function search tools that can tell me which files call the functions I'm looking for. So I kinda do my cursory searches and planning in emacs and then do bulk of the coding in Sublime.
« Last Edit: 03/04/13, 12:47 AM by Zebrix »

Offline Criph

• ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
  • Council
« Reply #38 on: 03/04/13, 01:10 AM »
That new chrome book that came out last week is crazy, it has a higher pixel density than the current line of apple products

And completely useless for being so Mac-priced. :/

Offline Zebramints

« Reply #39 on: 03/04/13, 01:54 AM »

the person who would buy one would do the exact same things they'd buy a macbook air for.

Go on facebook and look at pictures of cats.

<3 MMO-C

Offline Criph

• ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
  • Council
« Reply #40 on: 03/04/13, 02:07 AM »
That's all I do.

I've been surprised at what the Air can handle, though.  A co-worker uses it almost exclusively now for development.  I don't see value in the Pixel beyond a proof-of-concept.  The Verge put it well, "Everyone should want a Chromebook Pixel ... But almost no one should buy one."

Offline Zebrix

• Council
« Reply #41 on: 03/04/13, 05:47 AM »
Google realized this after designing the Pixel, and then slapped on a writeable BIOS just so people can actually install Linux distros on it. Otherwise ChromeOS is useless though.

I've been surprised at what the Air can handle, though.  A co-worker uses it almost exclusively now for development.
My PhD advisor uses one for the same reason. His beastly Linux desktop in his office stays on and he just does everything remotely from his Air whenever he's not in his office. Pretty sweet setup, for sure.

It's probably not that good for heavy local work though.

P.S.: Fuck man, after working on OS X non stop for like three days, I just tried to Copy/Paste with the Win+C/V keys because OSX uses the Win key in place of Command/Apple.

P.P.S: No, I haven't actually slept between my last post and this one.

Offline Criph

• ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
  • Council
« Reply #42 on: 03/04/13, 04:08 PM »
I don't think ChromeOS is useless, but it's still severely limited and not worth this particular package.

My friend is running several high-volume sites (part of aol network) in local development, massive python/django-based content/news applications, on the Air.  Performs very well, I think more to his own surprise than anything else.

Offline Nechahira

« Reply #43 on: 03/11/13, 06:52 PM »
To get this thread back on topic, I don't have one desktop. I have a folder that I'm constantly adding to and that it cycles through every 2-3 mins or whatever I have it set at.

Here's what's it's on for the next 2~ minutes - http://i.imgur.com/RX5DTO3.jpg

Here's an uploaded version of the collection so far - http://imgur.com/a/dZ4AF#0

« Last Edit: 03/11/13, 07:43 PM by Nechahira »

Offline Zebrix

• Council
« Reply #44 on: 03/11/13, 07:15 PM »
You might wanna change the album settings. It's not public. We can't see it.

Offline Nechahira

« Reply #45 on: 03/11/13, 07:39 PM »
That's weird it was set to public.

Offline Zebrix

• Council
« Reply #46 on: 03/11/13, 07:42 PM »
That's weird it was set to public.
Well it's working now. :)

Offline Nechahira

« Reply #47 on: 03/11/13, 07:44 PM »
Apparently in my profile itself I was set to private even though I didn't change the setting. Weird.

Offline Leg

• Ginger Team Leader
« Reply #48 on: 04/09/13, 08:21 PM »
Don't know who all around here has played/likes Minish Cap, but I think this is adorable.

http://i.imgur.com/BT2f4Fw.jpg