Rank 4
SILVER HAND
Rank 3960
U.S [EN]

Author Topic: Torin's Passage  (Read 1190 times)

Offline Nandladin

Torin's Passage
« on: 09/05/12, 11:43 PM »
On occasion, I like to use this blog to plug a game or a movie that I enjoyed. Today's game is a fucking masterpiece.

Torin's Passage was a point-and-click adventure game developed by Al Lowe in the mid-90's. For those who are unfamiliar, Lowe is the same developer famous for the Leisure Suit Larry series. Lowe had a young daughter at the time, and was stricken by the animated Disney flicks such as The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast. What he found most fascinating was the way Disney blended humor for both children and adults. A parent could watch a movie with their child, with both of them laughing at the same moments, but for different reasons. Lowe wanted to apply these principles to video games and create a game that he could share with his daughter.

Enter Torin's Passage. This game featured a memorable cast of characters with fantastic voice acting and was overloaded with terrible puns (the good kind). The score was composed by Michael Legrand, who had won multiple academy awards for his music. The hand-drawn animation brings the world to life, and the puzzles hit an appropriate level of challenge without being too frustrating.

And I just found out tonight that, after nearly 20 years, the game has been updated to run on modern PCs. It's a godsend for someone like me who has been trying to find a working version for years.

Torin's Passage is a gem and without a doubt one of the top ten games I have ever played. If you have a young child, do yourself a huge favor, pick up this game, and create a fucking memory your kid will never forget.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/torins_passage

Offline Nixorrell

• Administrator
  • Nix#1605
Re: Torin's Passage
« Reply #1 on: 09/06/12, 09:12 AM »
That is quite old-school, son.

Offline Niliamann

• Spinning Sack of Potatoes
« Reply #2 on: 09/06/12, 11:21 PM »
Two of my coworkers have 6 year olds.  One of them keeps trying to watch his dad play Arkham Asylum - I might suggest this to them~

Torin's Passage is <3

Offline Toma

« Reply #3 on: 09/10/12, 08:14 AM »
I'm fairly certain my dad and I played part of this game when I was little, I'm going to have to get it and play it some more. Thanks for posting this, Nand.

Offline Nandladin

« Reply #4 on: 09/10/12, 07:19 PM »
fuck yeah!