Rank 8
SILVER HAND
Rank 4628
U.S [EN]

Author Topic: Plushy Knight  (Read 13421 times)

Offline Nandladin

Plushy Knight
« on: 08/02/12, 02:07 AM »
Just finished the project.

Here's the trailer. Watch in HD, imo.

Offline EtanMoonstar

Re: Plushy Knight
« Reply #1 on: 08/02/12, 02:32 AM »
Nice, Nand! Very compelling trailer, already has me interested in the girl's story.
You want to burst them instead of having to stack DP via FoK with Ass!

Offline Altair

• Stone Told Steve Austin
  • Officer
« Reply #2 on: 08/02/12, 02:35 AM »
Beast.

"I ain't talkin' about chicken n' gravy biatch." ~ Zonty, 2015

Offline Nandladin

« Reply #3 on: 08/02/12, 02:42 AM »
Will let you all know when a download link is live. We are having licensing issues with Autodesk (Scaleform), so it might only be playable for a short time.

Offline Criph

• ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
  • Council
  • “But I never fall,” he said, falling.
« Reply #4 on: 08/02/12, 02:56 AM »
Yay!  Is that you in the VO?

Offline Nandladin

« Reply #5 on: 08/02/12, 03:16 AM »
lolz...

It's some professional voice actor dude that offered to do some work for us.

ThermQT

« Reply #6 on: 08/02/12, 11:58 AM »
This is fucking sick, dude. I want moar!

Offline Nandladin

« Reply #7 on: 08/02/12, 02:45 PM »
Just in case anyone is interested, I saw this post today:

-------------------------------------------------------
Todd Deery   2:34pm Aug 2
Hey everyone

We are going to be able to live stream the presentations tomorrow for the second year in a row. Very excited about that!

The credentials for watching the stream are as follows.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/fiea#

The password is

Viewfiea (you will enter this twice) [Nix edit: it's case sensitive]

Feel free to share with interested parties.

Thanks.

TD
« Last Edit: 08/03/12, 02:30 PM by Nixorrell »

Offline Saberaen

« Reply #8 on: 08/02/12, 05:58 PM »
Awesome.

edit: What time should we tune in, Nand?

Offline Nandladin

« Reply #9 on: 08/02/12, 08:09 PM »
3 EST is the start. We are the last presentation, so maybe 3:50 or so.

Offline Niliamann

• Spinning Sack of Potatoes
« Reply #10 on: 08/03/12, 05:04 PM »
Well Tortoise gnomes (wtf gnomes?  Barbarian gnomes maybe, and that was a horrid accent~) seemed to be channelling 75% dungeon defenders through the whole thing, heh.

Penned I watched about half of.  Why did the lead designer use herself as the voice of the main character?  It didn't fit her look, her posture, and her inflections and tone were just amazingly off.  Yikes, get a real VA, or at least someone who's done some sort of attempt at voice acting before.  Her voice broke any immersion that game had, to me at least.

PK?  Awesome kill-boss animation~  that's all I'll say here, heh.  Was fun to watch, and the boss actually fought like a boss.

Offline Nandladin

« Reply #11 on: 08/15/12, 04:04 PM »
Something I put together for my portfolio:

http://youtu.be/MzdBgtcQBDE?hd=1

By the way, there are spoilers.
« Last Edit: 08/15/12, 04:06 PM by Nandladin »

Offline Antheia

« Reply #12 on: 08/15/12, 04:26 PM »
thats awesome nand - for sure one of the better student games i have seen

was the project contract or are you able to submit to IGF, ect?  with that level of polish you guys would have an easy time getting to the finals of some of the student competitions

i worked with a grad from your school last year - seems like a talented pool of people - you know where you want to work yet?  zynga is fun :p

Offline Zebrix

• Good-for-Nothing Officer
  • Council
  • Battletag: Zeb#1646
« Reply #13 on: 08/15/12, 04:44 PM »
zynga is fun :p
Is that what you call it when you receive stock options worth next to nothing as incentive stay with the company? ;)

Offline Nandladin

« Reply #14 on: 08/15/12, 04:53 PM »
thats awesome nand - for sure one of the better student games i have seen

was the project contract or are you able to submit to IGF, ect?  with that level of polish you guys would have an easy time getting to the finals of some of the student competitions

i worked with a grad from your school last year - seems like a talented pool of people - you know where you want to work yet?  zynga is fun :p

We own our game, and are doing IGF for sure. The game looks good enough that several of us will be heading to SF for IGF. Some of our cohort is working at Zynga this fall, so they'll hopefully keep their jobs and we'll have a place to crash.

I'm likely doing the venture trac program in the fall because even though I picked up technical skills really fast, there are still gaps in my knowledge that simply take time to learn, so I'll have time to focus on improving in those areas.

I'd love to work at a studio of around 50-100 people, and one that allows designers to be hands-on with the project (I love working with AI, although that's usually handled by programmers). For what it's worth: EA Tiburon is the opposite of where I'd like to work - they pick up most of their designers from QA or from fucking forum posters, and all they do is paper design.

Offline Nandladin

« Reply #15 on: 08/15/12, 04:55 PM »
We also are working on a deal with Big Brothers/Big Sisters charity to feature Plushy Knight. I believe we are meeting with their board in September.

Our one issue is fucking Autodesk. Our Scaleform license expires August 31, and then our Vision license expires in March. We're working on both issues, but we don't have a definitive solution yet.

ThermQT

« Reply #16 on: 08/15/12, 05:07 PM »
When can I play this!

Offline Saberaen

« Reply #17 on: 08/15/12, 05:08 PM »
Great video. Really neat to hear your colleagues talk about those same qualities in you that made you such a great leader in TWC.

Offline Nandladin

« Reply #18 on: 08/15/12, 05:10 PM »
When can I play this!

I'm surprised it hasn't been put up to download yet. Might be because of the licensing issues. I made two minor bug fixes last week, so when those get put into a build, I'll just fucking host the download myself. :)

Great video. Really neat to hear your colleagues talk about those same qualities in you that made you such a great leader in TWC.

:D

Offline Antheia

« Reply #19 on: 08/15/12, 05:21 PM »
thats awesome nand - i live like 2 blocks from the GDC complex where they do all the IGF finals awards, ect.  Let me know when you are in SF and we can grab drinks

venture trac i assume is more of a design focused piece?  systems design is pretty awesome discipline.  I wish we had more of those here at zynga.  

yeah i heard tiburon diehard recruits from your school.  I had 2-3 friends that interned there and none of them had very positive experiences.  Pretty sure to get any real design position that isnt tuning or paper design, you need to go somewhere smaller.  Even zynga is too big now for real solutions.  

the baord thing is pretty awesome!  Thats quite a resume piece you have put together there.  Impressive considering you are just a year into the program.  

autodesk has free student liscences i thought?  i remember we used maya in the lab i worked in and were super pleased when we could have people download maya on their own laptops rather than having to use the lab machines

best of luck and let me know if you want any help with resume, ect - or if you ever get desperate enough to apply to zynga i can get you past the stack of resumes pretty quickly

Offline Nandladin

« Reply #20 on: 08/15/12, 05:31 PM »
Venture Trac is actually a 'start a business' course, but most people use it as free time to work on their own skillsets and portfolio. Since 100% of our programmers got jobs, it's not feasible to start a game-related business from this program.

Autodesk's student license applies to Maya, but not Scaleform, or at least not to publishing with Scaleform. I don't know all the details.

Thanks for the compliments, advice, and the offer. ;)

Offline EtanMoonstar

« Reply #21 on: 08/15/12, 05:46 PM »

This and hearing your voice for so much of the video made me miss the hell out of you, Nand. Hope this game makes its way to Steam or something soon!
You want to burst them instead of having to stack DP via FoK with Ass!

Offline Nandladin

« Reply #22 on: 08/15/12, 06:01 PM »
<3 <3 <3

Let's turn this into a video game music thread for nostalgia's sake:

:D

Offline Altair

• Stone Told Steve Austin
  • Officer
« Reply #23 on: 08/15/12, 06:15 PM »
I liked the last thread that was supposed to be a VGM thread, but people were faggots and let it die :(

« Last Edit: 08/15/12, 06:27 PM by Altair »
"I ain't talkin' about chicken n' gravy biatch." ~ Zonty, 2015

Offline Nandladin

« Reply #24 on: 08/15/12, 06:17 PM »
I want to "like" Altair's post.