Rank 22
SILVER HAND
Rank 5519
U.S [EN]

Author Topic: Theories - Also how not to apply to TWC.  (Read 4341 times)

Offline Theories

Theories - Also how not to apply to TWC.
« on: 07/05/12, 12:01 AM »
Well FFS,  I'm Vynllis.   You guys probably don't like me anyway...
« Last Edit: 07/10/12, 10:41 PM by Criph »

Offline Altair

• Stone Told Steve Austin
  • Officer
Re: Theories Application
« Reply #1 on: 07/05/12, 12:10 AM »

Also a somewhat disconcertingly low amount of keybinds.
« Last Edit: 07/05/12, 12:20 AM by Altair »
"I ain't talkin' about chicken n' gravy biatch." ~ Zonty, 2015

ThermQT

« Reply #2 on: 07/05/12, 12:16 AM »
What do you feel you could personally bring to our guild? Most importantly, why do you want to join us?    
I think I could come into your raids with the knowledge of raiding and the gear required so that TWC doesn't have to waste any time worrying about me. I get the job done.

Str gem in priest gear :x
« Last Edit: 07/05/12, 12:17 AM by Therm »

Offline Stormaker

• Officer
  • Storm#1958
« Reply #3 on: 07/05/12, 12:22 AM »
I won't lie, I've done that before on my warrior with an agi gem.

And I know a certain hunter who bought the wrong Hurricane card.

Offline Theories

« Reply #4 on: 07/05/12, 12:23 AM »
Str gem in priest gear :x
Resolved
« Last Edit: 07/05/12, 12:43 AM by Theories »

Offline Efn

« Reply #5 on: 07/05/12, 12:47 AM »
I issue you a challenge!  Resubmit your application with even fewer words than this one has!  :P  Your application is certainly 'lite'.

Your UI is very concerning, but mostly because you've chosen to embed a low quality image which means I can't see a darn thing [EDIT: Someone smart showed me how to view a better version it!].  I'd also echo Alt's concern about your key binds, or lack thereof.  What healing addon(s) do you use that may help explain this?

On the plus side, you're one of only a few recent applicants to come to us with two crafting professions, which is good to see.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: 07/05/12, 12:56 AM by Efn »

Offline Zebrix

• Good-for-Nothing Officer
  • Council
  • Battletag: Zeb#1646
« Reply #6 on: 07/05/12, 12:57 AM »
I see HealBot on the screen. That has click casting built in. So I'm really not worried about healer keybinds as long as there's something like Clique or some other click-casting going on. You'd be just as worried if you saw my UI back when I still healed for the exact same reasons.

That said, I am not happy about not seeing cooldowns (like Divine Hymn, Shadowfiend, Hymn of Hope, etc) not bound. That's kind of a necessity. Otherwise you just waste time not click-casting as you move to click them manually. It's always possible that you have them bound on click casts too, but that would surprise me because I ran out of combinations very rapidly on my Priest.

Offline Theories

« Reply #7 on: 07/05/12, 12:59 AM »
I issue you a challenge!  Resubmit your application with even fewer words than this one has!  :P  Your application is certainly 'lite'.  Your UI is very concerning, but mostly because you've chosen to embed a low quality image which means I can't see a darn thing.  I'd also echo Alt's concern about your key binds, or lack thereof.  What healing addon(s) do you use that may help explain this?

On the plus side, you're one of only a few recent applicants to come to us with two crafting professions, which is good to see.

Good luck.

Oh,   Heal bot.   been thinking about Grid but I don't feel comfortable changing right now, because I don't want to relearn while in progression. Maybe for next exp.....

As far as lite.
It's to the point.  I have linked my exp in this game via wow-heroes.  not that I'm lazy.   just clean.
Why I'm leaving Sov?   It's not something I care to post about.    It's the only guild I've been in.    
My system?   The fraps screen shot shows 60 FPS in the bottom right corner in Org,   Plenty of info there?
My Speedtest shows I'm not on Dial-up.

http://raidbots.com/epeenbot/us/silver%20hand/theories/

Another link so you can asses my abilities.

Offline Minatron

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 07/05/12, 01:49 AM »
Could you explain your reforging choices (specifically spirit, haste and mastery)? 

Looking through WoL, I am surprised to see Binding Heal at/near the top of your spell usage, while PoM is almost at the bottom.
Battletag: Haleaux#1145

Offline Theories

« Reply #9 on: 07/05/12, 02:01 AM »
If i were in a 10 man I would need more haste, spirit, crit.   but as I'm in 25 man I prefer mastery,   I'm comfortable with my current spirit.
The use of Binding heal - I prefer to use this because it heals two people for about the same cost as a greater heal.  It also procs serendipity which allows me to cast PoH quicker with less mana usage....

Offline Theories

ThermQT

« Reply #11 on: 07/05/12, 02:11 AM »
ahem http://raidbots.com/epeenbot/us/silver%20hand/minatron/
?

Also, that site is so trash. lmao if people think it's a showcase for skill

Offline Altair

• Officer
« Reply #12 on: 07/05/12, 02:13 AM »
I really don't know what you're trying to point out by linking Mina's parses, but I can say that because Mina is playing with equally skilled healers (i.e. better than just about anywhere on this server), that means that his numbers aren't going to be artificially inflated by making up the shortcomings of others.

And he's still consistently parsing in the upper 80 to upper 90 percentiles.

Offline Theories

« Reply #13 on: 07/05/12, 02:13 AM »
?

Also, that site is so trash. lmao if people think it's a showcase for skill

just a reference....  a representative example.
not meant to trash....
it's so he can look at the differences in our output..
« Last Edit: 07/05/12, 02:15 AM by Theories »

ThermQT

« Reply #14 on: 07/05/12, 02:15 AM »
just a reference....  a representative example.
The site is bad to try and base someones skill. It's telling me I am in the 90 Percentile for Heroic Domo. Yet I have the best ret dps on that fight atm, in the world. just sayin

Offline Efn

« Reply #15 on: 07/05/12, 02:16 AM »
As far as lite.
It's to the point.  I have linked my exp in this game via wow-heroes.  not that I'm lazy.

I think it's here that I must politely disagree.  I find an application that contains a bunch of links and no verbosity to be the result of a lack of effort, because it does nothing to tell us why you only gained T11 experience in last six weeks, or whether you did something on a completely different character.  We ask a bunch of questions because we want to know about you as a person and your history as a player.  WoW-Heroes isn't telling me whether you actually did T11 content on another character at the time it was relevant and not just on this toon when it became faceroll.  It doesn't tell me if this is your very first max level character and that you're super-new to WoW or anything like that.  If we thought for a second that having a look at WoW-Heroes would tell us everything we wanted to know, we wouldn't ask these questions and we'd have the forums auto-generate the links for us.

TWC is often described as a gaming community, and I personally find this to be very true.  Much of what we do here is not done on the basis of penis size or WoL rankings, but on the basis of being a group of people who get along well with each other and have a bunch of fun being asshats.  Your applications simply says, "Look at how big my digital cock is" and does nothing to foster a positive feeling of who you are as a person and a player.

At any rate, I don't decide these things.  I do find your application very light-on, and your response to my queries similarly light. Your terse approach to this application doesn't give the officers any idea about you or your character history.  Given that you lack any sponsors for your application and you don't want to discuss your pending departure from Sov (and in my far-too-extensive time on this planet, the only time someone doesn't want to discuss an issue like this is because it doesn't show them in a favourable way), you can only imagine the picture you have painted of yourself to us.  If the reality is far from this bleak perspective that I describe, you need to let us know that.

In theory (get it?  Theory!  Gosh I crack me up) your application looks reasonable.  It's the parts that you refuse to fill in that bother me.

Offline Minatron

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: 07/05/12, 02:18 AM »
ahem http://raidbots.com/epeenbot/us/silver%20hand/minatron/

Is this an attempt to use healing meters to indicate that you are a "better" healer?  If so, that is really sad...
Battletag: Haleaux#1145

Offline Criph

• ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
  • Council
  • “But I never fall,” he said, falling.
« Reply #17 on: 07/05/12, 02:20 AM »
WoW-Heroes doesn't tell me much.  I'd rather know what you worked on when it was current.

We do prefer more meat on an application's bones.  Clean is great, as long as it actually helps us get familiar with you and doesn't leave us hunting for the info we've asked for.  An FPS overlay isn't an answer.

As a healer, I'm not at all concerned with epeenbot.  Holy can be a padding machine, so all a higher percentile might tell me is that you're perhaps a decent healer (or sniping, or over-user of Binding) in a shitty raid.  Logs are enough.

Tell me about Exodus.

Offline Theories

« Reply #18 on: 07/05/12, 02:55 AM »
Is this an attempt to use healing meters to indicate that you are a "better" healer?  If so, that is really sad...

I stated above that it's so you can look at some of the differences between your style and my style...

Offline Theories

« Reply #19 on: 07/05/12, 03:06 AM »
I think it's here that I must politely disagree.  I find an application that contains a bunch of links and no verbosity to be the result of a lack of effort, because it does nothing to tell us why you only gained T11 experience in last six weeks, or whether you did something on a completely different character.  We ask a bunch of questions because we want to know about you as a person and your history as a player.  WoW-Heroes isn't telling me whether you actually did T11 content on another character at the time it was relevant and not just on this toon when it became faceroll.  It doesn't tell me if this is your very first max level character and that you're super-new to WoW or anything like that.  If we thought for a second that having a look at WoW-Heroes would tell us everything we wanted to know, we wouldn't ask these questions and we'd have the forums auto-generate the links for us.

TWC is often described as a gaming community, and I personally find this to be very true.  Much of what we do here is not done on the basis of penis size or WoL rankings, but on the basis of being a group of people who get along well with each other and have a bunch of fun being asshats.  Your applications simply says, "Look at how big my digital cock is" and does nothing to foster a positive feeling of who you are as a person and a player.

At any rate, I don't decide these things.  I do find your application very light-on, and your response to my queries similarly light. Your terse approach to this application doesn't give the officers any idea about you or your character history.  Given that you lack any sponsors for your application and you don't want to discuss your pending departure from Sov (and in my far-too-extensive time on this planet, the only time someone doesn't want to discuss an issue like this is because it doesn't show them in a favourable way), you can only imagine the picture you have painted of yourself to us.  If the reality is far from this bleak perspective that I describe, you need to let us know that.

In theory (get it?  Theory!  Gosh I crack me up) your application looks reasonable.  It's the parts that you refuse to fill in that bother me.

I have zero bad things to say about Sov.   Although that isn't saying that someone might take something I say in the wrong way...

T11 - I came joined Exodus raid in the last BWD they ran as a 25 man?
New T11 gains - Exodus 10 man 
T12 - All Exodus
Recent T12 content was run with group put together by Zurgzurg from Sov.
T13 - All Exodus
I can't tell you anything about Exodus you don't already know.   
I can say that it was very nice of them to allow me to raid with them without joining the guild.

I don't think I have a big digital cock - You ask for parses and I show you them.   It's nice to know that some are considered junk and others aren't.   

I don't run around talking it up in org.  I don't know people in TWC.   Once Nix came to an Exodus Sinestra raid.   We didn't kill her.  Is that good enough for a sponsor?   Doubtful.

Offline Criph

• ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
  • Council
« Reply #20 on: 07/05/12, 03:43 AM »
I can't tell you anything about Exodus you don't already know.

I'd hope you could tell me anything, given that I've never raided with them and you have for practically an expansion.  I was obviously asking about your raiding experience with them, including tier progress, since this is a raiding application and you neglected to note that you were a part of their raid force.

Sorry, not a useful or even cordial answer to the one person in this thread who's opinion matters.  A handful of terse and defensive replies skirting legitimate questions from potential guildies do not friends make.  Everything about this app comes off as suspect, from the numerous ellipses to the more glaring omissions.  I won't belabor the point.

Thanks for reaching out, but we'll have to decline at this time.  Good luck with your search.

Offline Theories

« Reply #21 on: 07/05/12, 03:47 AM »
I'd hope you could tell me anything, given that I've never raided with them and you have for practically an expansion.  I was obviously asking about your raiding experience with them, including tier progress, since this is a raiding application and you neglected to note that you were a part of their raid force.

Sorry, not a useful or even cordial answer to the one person in this thread who's opinion matters.  A handful of terse and defensive replies skirting legitimate questions from potential guildies do not friends make.  Everything about this app comes off as suspect, from the numerous ellipses to the more glaring omissions.  I won't belabor the point.

Thanks for reaching out, but we'll have to decline at this time.  Good luck with your search.

Sorry,  I assumed my parse would have shown that I raid with them.   I did earlier go into detail about my raid history with Exodus.   
In my opinion - Great group of people

Offline Criph

• ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
  • Council
« Reply #22 on: 07/05/12, 04:16 AM »
Well FFS,  I'm Vynllis.   You guys probably don't like me anyway...

Don't know you.  Don't dislike you.  Don't seem like a remotely useful raider, that's all.

Don't worry about it, just try to be a bit less... oh, fucking... now I'm doing it...

Edit: Posting as another how-not-to-app.  Strangest/worst application yet?
« Last Edit: 07/10/12, 10:44 PM by Criph »

Offline Criph

• ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
  • Council
« Reply #23 on: 07/08/12, 11:02 PM »
I half want to post this as another "how not to app" example.

Offline Altair

• Officer
« Reply #24 on: 07/08/12, 11:22 PM »
I half agree.