Rank 7
SILVER HAND
Rank 4307
U.S [EN]

Author Topic: Inferno Ghom - Barb - BECAUSE MELEE IS FUN  (Read 3033 times)

Offline Stormaker

• Officer
  • Storm#1958
Inferno Ghom - Barb - BECAUSE MELEE IS FUN
« on: 06/22/12, 10:27 PM »
Build - http://i.imgur.com/dHWQX.jpg

Stats - http://i.imgur.com/SX0R8.jpg

Overpower rune reflect Life on Hit thingy.

Bought an axe with 600 LoH to put in my main hand for crit bonus for like 30k.

One shot him after buying the axe, because this game is dumb.

Offline Zebrix

• Good-for-Nothing Officer
  • Council
  • Battletag: Zeb#1646
Re: Inferno Ghom - Barb - BECAUSE MELEE IS FUN
« Reply #1 on: 06/23/12, 01:09 AM »
I have a slight variation of this. I'm higher on the damage than you are and have higher armor/vitality, with slightly lower resistances. I built for passive Life Regen in massive quantities instead of life per hit.

- Frenzy: Left click (+damage rune)
- Revenge: Right click (+chance to proc rune)

- Ignore Pain (with life steal rune if I'm solo, or with party-wide Ignore Pain if I'm with group)
- Furious Charge (with Merciless Assault rune for endless charges on big packs)
- War Cry (+resistance rune)
- Wrath of the Berserker (duh)

I primarily play with a set group of friends and I've been building more of a control/tank Barb, hence the life regen over life per hit because I'm charging around so goddamn much to soak up some aggro off our Wizard/WH. There are stretches where I have to trot right over plagues, desecrations, moltens and fire links without hitting anything. Regen is extremely reliable for the way I play.

I've been building a life per hit set on the side though, trying to sidegrade the rest of the stats as best as I can, because it became very quickly obvious that life regen isn't a very ideal stat for Barb solo play. >.>

Offline Murathe

• Kobe Bryant
« Reply #2 on: 06/23/12, 01:28 AM »

Offline Stormaker

• Officer
  • Storm#1958
« Reply #3 on: 06/23/12, 05:00 AM »
I walked outside the keep, and proceeded to be 2-shot by offscreen arm faggots.

Decided to suicide down the ballistae and trebuchet then leap my way across the bridge.

Hit enrage on Siegebreaker right as I killed him. Trying to decide if I want to mess with the tower thingies tonight, or just go to sleep.

I haven't really done anything in a group yet, except for like once with Criph and Rad that went horribly because Act 2 snakes can suck a dick. I've been trying to build my life regen up a bit without sacrificing LoH on resists. Seems that I might have to go ahead and spend over a mil on a piece of gear if I want to do that though (I think the most I've spent on a single piece was 800k on a 70 vit / 50 resist / 200 LoH Amulet).

I've tried to use Ignore Pain, but I hate it. Leap is so much more useful for me, as an escape or initiator, or whatever. I hate getting stuck inside walls.  Anything with walls and some kind of ground effect is just trivialized by leap.
« Last Edit: 06/23/12, 05:12 AM by Stormaker »

Offline Zebrix

• Council
« Reply #4 on: 06/23/12, 11:35 AM »
Barb gearing for solo play is incredibly expensive. It's the primary reason why I'm playing Inferno with a group instead. Our setup is Monk, Barb, WH and Wizard. You acquire 30% Dodge from the Monk and the WH has the ability to go into a pet build that inherits his % Chance to Freeze. With the spiders and everything roaming around and delivering bazillions of hits, shit gets frozen a whole lot and that inherently cuts down on the entire group's damage intake. It's quite possibly the best damage reduction tool at anybody's disposal in this game. The rest comes down to the Monk and Barb tanking as much of the damage as they can while the Wizard does bulk of the killing.

So between all of that, the pressure on me to find these incredibly expensive and ideal pieces that have *every* stat I want on them goes quite a bit down. I've been able to get away with acquiring everything except Life on Hit so far, and that works pretty well as long as I don't attempt to go solo mean things. But since you mostly play solo, you seem to be kind of out of options. :(

As far as Leap goes, I've found that the only substitute for it is Furious Charge. I've actually grown to like it much more than Leap because when Merciless Assault rune is reducing its cooldown so much (and sometimes eliminating it) based on how many mobs you damage with it, Charge turns into a crazy effective AoE slaughter tool by charging back and forth between the same high density pack of mobs. Not to mention that the rune also means that Charge will be available for me almost every single time I need to hightail it out of there. You just need to be a little conscious of your direction when using the ability, to ensure that you hit as many mobs on the way in or out, just so you can charge very rapidly once again afterwards.

I can't really play without Ignore Pain myself, but I haven't been crazy enough to sub that in for Leap or Furious Charge to begin with. I use it over Battle Rage, so it's more of a flat damage % loss in favor of a substantial survivability gain. I've found that Rage is most useful primarily when I'm under the effects of Wrath since the % modifier is then acting on a much larger amount of damage, but then, I already switch Furious Charge out for Battle Rage before most boss fights to begin with. It's worked out for me.

Offline Radzeal

• der Führer
  • Council
« Reply #5 on: 06/24/12, 04:50 PM »
Iron Impact is drastically better than Ignore Pain in almost every instance; it is basically 40% uptime 95+% melee damage cooldown in my gear, plus the inherent mobility tool offered by leap. Having said that I generally use Furious Charge + Dreadnought; even though it fucks up and won't get you through packs occasionally the heal is absolutely outrageous when you are clump kiting or need a quick out.

In group settings you don't need more damage, at all. Your damage is utterly dwarfed by what the range are doing, so don't even bother. WotB can be a half decent defensive cooldown but not for the reasons a lot of people think; it makes you immune to CC (Jailer, Frozen, etc) and provides a massive run speed increase. This, despite the way most people use Wrath, can make -kiting and escaping- easier when you need to do that. In acts3/4, the "strat" pretty much consists of heroic throw kiting and relying on your enchantress to gib stuff with charm every minute.

Group play is different from solo only in how much you are required to kite, and in acts3/4 you simply can't tank stuff straight up. Even with Threatening Shout and a monk you'll still be getting wasted in only half-decent gear. By yourself you rely heavily on the enchantress and increasingly expensive dps gear to Heroic Throw shit down, and at that point you're generally better off just playing a wizard.
Battletag: Radz#1808

Offline Zebrix

• Council
« Reply #6 on: 06/24/12, 08:36 PM »
I have a hard time seeing how Iron Impact is gonna be better than Ignore Pain. We're talking about a 65% reduction, FLAT, on top of everything else you have going. I have 75% baseline melee reduction from armor. Another 65% reduction on top of that nets me about 92% reduction on melee, and furthermore, the 65% works on everything else that is NOT melee. And then there's the healing you get from the 20% LoH rune attached to it should you choose to take that.

There should be *no* way that Iron Impact can work out for better overall survivability than Ignore Pain under any realistic circumstances. Sure it's better for melee, and it has higher uptime, but melee is honestly the least of my worries. It's everything else that slaughters me. When/if that changes, I'll go back to Iron Impact and see how that works out. But until then, I can't even begin to count the number of times Ignore Pain has turned the tide of battle for me and I'm super reluctant to let it go.

Offline Radzeal

• der Führer
  • Council
« Reply #7 on: 06/24/12, 08:41 PM »
I dunno if you've looked at the healing numbers from the IP rune, but it is heavily nerfed (as is all damage convert to life mechanics on Inferno). It still does something, but it does not bring IP even remotely close to Iron Impact. You need to keep in mind, not only are you getting 30k~ armor from it for its duration (in my gear, dunno where you're at), but leap has a 20 second shorter cooldown, so rather than there being a 25~ second lapse between usages you can be incredibly loose with using leap and still have it essentially every time you need it.

The most dangerous shit in the game is Arcane Sentry by itself, and a short reduction CD is not going to save you from that shit if you don't know what to do with them. All of the other stuff, molten/chains/plague/desecrator do a great deal of damage past act2, but the greatest danger remains melee. Not only does Iron Impact>Leap give you a tool to very heavily mitigate that damage, but it also gives you a tool to get the fuck out of dodge when the magical siht is fuckin with you too.

Offline Zebrix

• Council
« Reply #8 on: 06/24/12, 09:28 PM »
Rad, Iron Impact lasts 4 seconds. Leap is on a 20 sec cooldown. You get 20% uptime on that buff, not 40%. By comparison, IP lasts 5 seconds out of 30, giving you a baseline 16.67% uptime. It has a rune that pushes it to 7 seconds duration. Arguably it's just as good as the LoH rune, and probably better in many situations where you can't get the hits in and rune gets wasted. With that on, your uptime gets to 23.34% - beyond what Iron Impact offers. Iron Impact probably yields very *slightly* higher total melee damage reduction (maybe like a few % more than armor + IP). The uptimes are very comparable too. I don't think the question is which one is better for melee. They're about the same.

The tradeoff in question is that, you choose between having DR on non-melee damage, vs having increased mobility that comes from Leap. I think there's a legitimate point to make about that. It may very well be that I'll go get Leap+Iron Impact because I'll need the mobility to get the fuck out of dodge in Act 3 and 4, but I have a very hard time justifying that switch on the grounds that Impact is better for survivability. It doesn't mathematically add up.

Offline Radzeal

• der Führer
  • Council
« Reply #9 on: 06/24/12, 11:04 PM »
10 second cd. I dont need to say more, but I will anyway:

I'm not saying IP is worthless; it plays a critical role in certain situations (poor gear Belial, Azmodan w/ group rune for glass cannons, etc), just like Sprint is godly in a feW situations and all but worthless most of the time. One of the only decent things about the patch is that you can pretty much run whatever you want to and it'll work, but what I'm telling you is that I'm a few hundred hours into my barb, it was my first character the night the game went live, and leap plus a ridiculously huge damage reduction with crazy uptime is universally godly. It's up to you obviously, I'm just throwing out pro-tips.

Edit: seriously though, it also does damage, is a "get out of jail free" movement card, and you don't have to be niggardly or overly cautious with its use because of the drastically lower cd.
« Last Edit: 06/24/12, 11:11 PM by Radzeal »

Offline Stormaker

• Officer
  • Storm#1958
« Reply #10 on: 06/25/12, 02:10 AM »
Yeah, leap is 10, not 20. Much more reliable and shit.

Also, just cuz both of you mentioned it, armor reduces all damage. Not just melee. That's the other reason leap is better.

Also, Rakanoth dead. Not very motivated to push for Diablo right now. I'm just getting tired of the game in general. I'm not much of a person for repeating things over and over. And I hate farming. If anyone else happens to have killed Diablo, and wants to carry me through him, I'll love you forever. Or, if you want a Belial/Azmodan kill, I can do that for you, with relative ease.

I've been playing around with builds a bit. I swapped back to my 2h, and decided to use a Charge - Merciless Assault build.

Current build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WXSkiP!ZdV!aaZcaZ    (I have right around 9% lifesteal and 1500 LoH now, though my str/vit are still in the 900's [because I ain't spending 10 million an item]. Just enough to drop revenge, because fuck revenge)

I've been bouncing between Act 3 runs up to Ghom (because I can't kill him without changing skills, and the next quests hit too hard with a 2h equipped), which take a lot of paying attention and kiting and making sure I've always got white mob fodder for instant charge resets while fighting the nastier affixes, and Act 1 speed runs, where I can swap Warcry for Sprint, from Quest 3 to done in about an hour 15 to an hour 30.

Edit: Also, Zeb, for reference. Furious Charge procs 1/3rd of your Life on Hit for each target hit.

« Last Edit: 06/25/12, 02:13 AM by Stormaker »

Offline EtanMoonstar

« Reply #11 on: 06/25/12, 03:47 AM »
I'm just about done with D3, too; I'd like to finish Act IV normal with my friends, and finish Act IV inferno with my monk (three quests to go....), but once I do that it's all repetitive farming with terribad drop roulette and super-suck auction house with ten items that go 36 hours without selling. I got my money's worth out of the game, since it didn't cost me anything, but I'm not really seeing myself ever coming back to it like I did many times with D2.
You want to burst them instead of having to stack DP via FoK with Ass!

Offline EtanMoonstar

« Reply #12 on: 06/25/12, 08:24 AM »
Watched the . The guy makes the right point in the first three minutes or so of the video--endlessly farming better gear with nothing to use it for doesn't qualify as an endgame. Odd that while Blizzard is putting so much attention on non-raiding endgame stuff in MoP, they've reduced D3 to the worst caricature of people who farm old content for no reason other than getting more gear--at least in WoW you know it's possible to get fully geared-out, you don't have to buy your gear off the auction house because all the randomized stats are utter shit, and more importantly that said gear will help you progress in the next tier of content (gear is NOT an end to itself, it is the MEANS to an end).

Offline Altair

• Stone Told Steve Austin
  • Officer
« Reply #13 on: 06/25/12, 02:47 PM »
I just haven't brought myself to even finish to level 60 yet. Good thing I didn't actually pay for the game.
"I ain't talkin' about chicken n' gravy biatch." ~ Zonty, 2015

Offline EtanMoonstar

« Reply #14 on: 06/25/12, 08:06 PM »
Wow, Izual and Diablo were both disappointingly easy one-shots after death corner-planting all the bullshit elite packs on the way to the two of them. I'll finish Act IV normal with my friends after one of them finishes reinstalling Win7, then back to playing other games until the expansion ftw.