Rank 8
SILVER HAND
Rank 4626
U.S [EN]

Author Topic: GOD DAMN IT LUNAR WAS A FUCKING FANTASTIC GAME!  (Read 1807 times)

Offline Nandladin

srsly good. nostalgia~

Offline Saberaen

Re: GOD DAMN IT LUNAR WAS A FUCKING FANTASTIC GAME!
« Reply #1 on: 02/09/12, 10:25 AM »
Yep.

Offline Altair

• Stone Told Steve Austin
  • Officer
« Reply #2 on: 02/09/12, 02:03 PM »
If you would, be specific as to which one was fantastic. I've heard of a ton of games with Lunar in them, mainly RPGs, but never played any of them.
"I ain't talkin' about chicken n' gravy biatch." ~ Zonty, 2015

Offline Sultad

« Reply #3 on: 02/09/12, 03:02 PM »
I'm assuming they're talking about this one, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar:_Silver_Star_Story_Complete , because it is amazing indeed.

Offline Zebrix

• Good-for-Nothing Officer
  • Council
  • Battletag: Zeb#1646
« Reply #4 on: 02/09/12, 03:17 PM »
I feel bad everytime someone recommends a game like this. As good as the story and the gameplay may be in some of these JRPGs or the like, I absolutely cannot stand the visual style. It's just a pet peeve and I've never been able to get over it even though I tried to several times.

Offline Altair

• Officer
« Reply #5 on: 02/09/12, 03:21 PM »
The question is, is it better than Chrono Trigger?

Offline Nandladin

« Reply #6 on: 02/09/12, 03:46 PM »
It's not a better game than Chrono Trigger. The design of CT was far superior to Lunar.

But Lunar is by far my favorite game. The story, the characters, the voice acting, the cutscenes and the music - it just creates a great world to get lost in. It was more than enough to make me ignore the lackluster gameplay.

I bought Lunar back in the 90's. Nil and I started to play it in the afternoon. We played it through the night and fell asleep in front of the TV. We woke up, ate in front of the TV, played it all day and night, and went to sleep in front of the TV again. We woke up and did the same thing again. I believe we beat it at the end of the fourth day.

I've never done that with another video game. Fucking awesome. I remember watching the Wind Nocturne scene for the first time, and I was like "...holy fuck..." It's definitely among the most memorable RPG scenes of all time.
« Last Edit: 02/09/12, 03:49 PM by Nandladin »

Offline Nandladin

« Reply #7 on: 02/09/12, 03:47 PM »
I feel bad everytime someone recommends a game like this. As good as the story and the gameplay may be in some of these JRPGs or the like, I absolutely cannot stand the visual style. It's just a pet peeve and I've never been able to get over it even though I tried to several times.

That's a shame. I can play a fucking Atari game if it's good enough. You should learn to appreciate the beauty of things, regardless of style.
« Last Edit: 02/09/12, 03:50 PM by Nandladin »

Offline Altair

• Officer
« Reply #8 on: 02/09/12, 04:53 PM »
That's a shame. I can play a fucking Atari game if it's good enough. You should learn to appreciate the beauty of things, regardless of style.

This gets me kinda livid too. My number one reason to deck someone in the face over a difference in video game opinion actually has to do with Wind Waker specifically, generally around the area of "I didn't play it because I didn't like the art style." Congratulations, you just established your ignorance as a gamer to me.

Offline Criph

• ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
  • Council
  • “But I never fall,” he said, falling.
« Reply #9 on: 02/09/12, 05:13 PM »
Beauty is subjective, relax.

Offline Nandladin

« Reply #10 on: 02/09/12, 05:17 PM »
This gets me kinda livid too. My number one reason to deck someone in the face over a difference in video game opinion actually has to do with Wind Waker specifically, generally around the area of "I didn't play it because I didn't like the art style." Congratulations, you just established your ignorance as a gamer to me.

Wind Waker was great. And I agree.

Offline Zebrix

• Good-for-Nothing Officer
  • Council
  • Battletag: Zeb#1646
« Reply #11 on: 02/09/12, 07:31 PM »
Notice that I'm not criticizing any of these games because of the art style. I'm just saying that, whenever I attempted them, I was unable to establish any kind of an emotional connection to the game, the characters or the story lines because I have an irrational pet peeve about some of the Japanese visual elements. The biggest one is probably androgynous male characters.

Thing is, I realize that my issues with that stuff is not only rather irrational but also a case-by-case thing. I absolutely loved Chrono Trigger, for instance, but then again CT also more subdued with that visual style. I have no reservations about old games. I have no issues with playing 8-bit looking stuff. I love it actually. I just can't always establish a connection to JRPG games. It doesn't mean I stop trying them, but a good portion of the time, I end up disappointed that I can't bring myself to play through some of these games that many trusted friends recommend heavily.

Also, Wind Waker did rock. Probably one of the cleanest and best looking Gamecube game they ever made.

Offline Nechahira

« Reply #12 on: 02/09/12, 08:44 PM »
Nand just liked collecting the fan service photos...

Offline Nandladin

« Reply #13 on: 02/09/12, 09:45 PM »
Yeah, because my obsessions with women have long been documented...

Offline Niliamann

• Spinning Sack of Potatoes
« Reply #14 on: 02/09/12, 11:38 PM »
I absolutely loved Chrono Trigger, for instance, but then again CT also more subdued with that visual style.

It's funny cuz

is the same guy responsible for

And more recognizably

Just don't get much less subdued than that :p though I guess he does make most of his males actually male~  Also, inb4 sprites.
« Last Edit: 02/09/12, 11:47 PM by Niliamann »