Rank 32
SILVER HAND
Rank 7338
U.S [EN]

Author Topic: Looking for gear suggestions  (Read 5095 times)

Offline Niliamann

• Spinning Sack of Potatoes
Re: Looking for gear suggestions
« Reply #25 on: 06/23/11, 08:55 AM »
Wonderful, that's definitely something I'm interested in.  Thanks a bunch :)

Offline Nandladin

« Reply #26 on: 06/23/11, 10:45 AM »
Nil, what kind of armor do you use?

Also, what level of magic item are you currently owed?

Offline Niliamann

• Spinning Sack of Potatoes
« Reply #27 on: 06/23/11, 11:49 AM »
Scale and any level 6 item, I believe he said.

Offline nuitra

« Reply #28 on: 06/23/11, 09:29 PM »
This is cause I'm too lazy to type everything up :/

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k579/holykupo/Adrik.jpg

Apparently Nuitra gave me Dwarven Weapon Training and Versatile Expertise.  Somehow I never looked at that last time I was playing, oops.

Should likely steal a hammer of some sort as a result, cause going up against stuff with a 6 vs AC isn't cutting it, period.

The dwarven thing goes for both axes and hammers.  Most gm's I know would let you change your versatile expertise to hammer over axe, so that hopefully won't be too much of an issue.  I'm currently looking at more stuff, but as a very general guide, if you can access it, take a look at (it's long):
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/24951589/Lets_Accessorize:_The_Item_Guide?pg=1

Two things I'd like to say about items, is that in for the combat math of the game to work, it basically assumes you have a level appropiate magic weapon, armor, and neck (bonuses to attack/damage, defenses and defenses or nifty effects from the neck).  They also won't admit it, but in combat at least, it's basically required that you have an expertise feat for your weapon and/or implement of choice, since for the most part, if you don't hit, your powers don't do to much.  Just something to keep in mind.

Nand:  Feet: Boots of the Fencing Master (7).  +1 AC and Ref def every time you shift.
Hands: Claw Gloves for combat, Hedge Wizard's Gloves for various fun things.
Waist: Diamond Cincture (when you can use/get level 10 items)
Weapon: Accurate Staff or Totem (requires Implement Training: Accurate Staff or totem).  Simple but effective. Other good choices: Aversion Staff (2+ PHB3)
Armor:  Pouncing Beast Armor (4+ PHB2) or Enduring Beast Armor (5+ PHB2).

Nil:  Hands: Resplendent Gloves for a damage boost on radiant powers.  Long term though, if you get to being able to use level 12 items, Gloves of the Healer are where the money is if I'm reading it correctly.
Arms:  Hammer Shield (AV2) 8 (Bonus to defenses after hitting with hammer) or Healer's Shield (AV) 10 (Maximize healing and add wisdom or charisma mod as bonus.)
Holy Symbol:  Symbol of Shared Healing (AV2) 7 (spend a surge, an ally gets to spend one as well) or Symbol of the Holy Nimbus (AV2) 4 (holy word grants temp hp's as well) or Symbol of Life (PHB) 2 (healing powers do more)
Armor: Exalted Armor: Chain (PHB) 5. Has a daily power that buffs your healing.
Neck: Healer's Brooch (AV) 4 (allies get bonus hp when you use a healing power)

More later, but that should be a pretty good general list, combined with the other stuff. 

Offline Shatner

• Ginger & Redhead Connoisseur
« Reply #29 on: 07/02/11, 01:53 AM »
Do you guys play online?  I recently made a character (Human Cleric), and wouldn't mind coming along if you had a slot.  I'm really new to the whole thing though, having been through only a handful of encounters.

Offline Nandladin

« Reply #30 on: 07/02/11, 08:50 AM »
Nuitra, I actually think I'm going to make my own bizarre druid set. I've already got the bonuses ironed out, haha.

Accurate staffs are worth training in, though?

Offline Nandladin

« Reply #31 on: 07/02/11, 08:51 AM »
Shatner: we've been playing in-person, but we may do some over the internet in the future when I am in Florida.

Offline nuitra

« Reply #32 on: 07/03/11, 06:28 PM »
Nuitra, I actually think I'm going to make my own bizarre druid set. I've already got the bonuses ironed out, haha.

Accurate staffs are worth training in, though?

It's my personal opinion, that increasing your to hit in 4.0 is always a good thing (unless you are hitting on a 2+ already, which is rare, but doable for a few classes, druids ARE NOT one of them), since so many of the powers only do something if you hit.  If you don't hit, you just wasted that daily, or that encounter power for nothing.

I hinted at it before, but, the game math is basically wrong, but they won't admit it.  So, in order to "fix" it they put in feats that basically do so (+ hit and + defense feats) however, that just makes them a feat "tax" and doesn't allow you to build your character how you might want to, since you'll be seriously underperforming (in combat at least) if you don't take those feats compared to someone who does.
« Last Edit: 07/03/11, 06:32 PM by nuitra »

Offline Nandladin

« Reply #33 on: 07/03/11, 10:11 PM »
But at the same time, I would then be limited to one very particular weapon in the game.

Offline nuitra

« Reply #34 on: 07/04/11, 11:48 AM »
But at the same time, I would then be limited to one very particular weapon in the game.

Your are semi correct. Accurate Implements can still be magic weapons, and thus as a staff, it can still have any of the staff enchants that are allowed by the magic enchantments for staffs.

As a side note...If you have dex and wis of 15, and an at will power that pushes or slides, you should take a look at Alfsair Spear (counts as an implement as well as a weapon).  And the feat Polearm Momentum.
« Last Edit: 07/04/11, 01:08 PM by nuitra »

Offline Nandladin

« Reply #35 on: 07/04/11, 01:29 PM »
I do have dex and wis that high...

But what I don't understand is this whole implement thing, what they are, how they work, etc...

I've tried to research it online, but no idea as of yet.

I did look up the spear, though, and am moderately intrigued by your logic. I would like to hear more.~
« Last Edit: 07/04/11, 01:36 PM by Nandladin »

Offline nuitra

« Reply #36 on: 07/04/11, 02:57 PM »
Implements are basically just a way to channel powers that is different from weapons.  If you read your powers, they will have certain keywords on them. Oftentimes, one of those keywords will be "weapon"  or "implement" and this determines which item you make that attack with, as well as which feats apply to add in damage, hit, etc. So basically, they work like weapons, but arn't technically weapons.

Anyway, the logic behind the spear was that it counts as both a weapon and an implement, so you can use any of your powers with it.  Also, with dex and wis of 15, if you take polearm momentum, you can knock targets prone after you push/slide them at least 2 squares.  It's a little more complicated, but I'll break it down.

Only look at this as an option if you have an at will that pushes or slides (lucky you, you do).

1) Polearm momentum is a fighter only feat. To qualify you must take a fighter multiclass feat. Given that you don't dual wield, the best feat to take would probably be Brawling Warrior (Skill training, and if you have an off-hand free you can gain +1 to  attack or AC once per encounter.)

2) Take polearm momentum.

3) Make sure your push/slide will always be at least 2 squares. The most common way of doing this is with a feet slot item called Rushing Cleats, which makes any push/slide you do move the target 1 more square.

4) profit.  Have fun pushing and sliding people all over the battlefield, and then knocking them prone, which has a ton of uses and provides excellent tactical control over the field as you can create gaps for allies, push enemies into damaging zone/terrains, off ledges, etc. As well as effectively upping the damage of your group since proned opponents grant combat advantage (woo for +2 to hit) and you even potentially start bringing some action denial to your opponents by forcing them to either stay prone and crawl to attack (-2 to hit in a bunch of situations, but not all) or get up, using up a move action.

For more group synergy, have melee weapon users take Headsman's Chop for an extra +5 damage when attacking a prone target.
« Last Edit: 07/04/11, 03:14 PM by nuitra »

Offline Nandladin

« Reply #37 on: 07/04/11, 04:52 PM »
I have a set piece item that I invented that increases all my slides by 1 square, meaning that Savage Rend, Thorn Whip, and Swirling Winds all slide 2 or more squares, so that works. :)
« Last Edit: 07/04/11, 04:54 PM by Nandladin »