Rank 32
SILVER HAND
Rank 7338
U.S [EN]

Author Topic: Looking for gear suggestions  (Read 5094 times)

Offline Nandladin

Looking for gear suggestions
« on: 06/21/11, 11:02 AM »
My DM wants us to create wishlists of loot so that he can award us specific items from time to time. I've done some research, but could use suggestions from people with more knowledge of these sorts of things.

My character is currently level 6, so I could use suggestions of items that range from levels 5 to about 20.

I am playing a swarm druid, and I particularly love items with triggered effects or bonuses to non combat skills.

:D

Offline Niliamann

• Spinning Sack of Potatoes
Re: Looking for gear suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 06/21/11, 12:24 PM »
*cough* Level 6 Dwarven Battle Cleric.

Nuitra, my character sheet hasn't changed gearwise from what you had, except I've picked up a "pick a level 6 +2 item" that was suggested to me to be used on a weapon since I still have a generic mace, and I think technically I have some sort of giantkind gloves that let me throw tables at people.  I don't have my character info at work, else I'd post it here :(

Nil is also open to suggestions.

Offline EtanMoonstar

« Reply #2 on: 06/21/11, 02:35 PM »
I'll go through my books and have some great suggestions for the two of you either later today or tomorrow (my players can never be bothered to draw up their wishlists--possibly because they really like the items I pick out for their characters).
You want to burst them instead of having to stack DP via FoK with Ass!

Offline Nandladin

« Reply #3 on: 06/21/11, 02:39 PM »
Yeah, a good DM can come up with some amazingly interesting items, but it's hard to map out an entire adventure's worth of loot.

For my weapon, I'm currently using a tome that's supposed to be wizard-only, but our DM changed the name and wove it into the story - it's now the Book of Daygon: +2 and allows my druid to change his damage type to necrotic and resurrect zombies. That item is a hell of a lot of fun. :)

But I don't know what I should do with my offhand. I currently have a +1 offhand thing, but it doesn't stack with the weapon bonus, so it's currently useless.

Offline Niliamann

« Reply #4 on: 06/21/11, 02:47 PM »
Thanks a bunch - I'll try to post my information when I'm back.  There's so much out there and I have no idea how many items is a good amount for a list.  I tend to be more interested in effects that can buff/debuff others in some way, or grant various little bonuses that encourage you to attack a certain way, like opening a way to grant a few temporary hp.

I also have no idea how prevalent certain things are in items. I haven't had too long to look at the giant lists :/  Anyway, I'll post my information when I'm back home.

Offline EtanMoonstar

« Reply #5 on: 06/21/11, 08:21 PM »
Well, what I learned from this little exercise is that picking magic items in 4th Edition is much, much easier when you actually observe the characters, their preferred powers, and how they tend to work together!  I kept going "I need to give Player X this item sometime, but I wonder if Nand or Nil would make any good use of it."  That said, here's a list of some items that struck me as being of interest:

Level/Item Name/Plus (if applicable): Short Description

2 Acrobat Boots: +1 to Acrobatics checks, stand from prone as a minor action (instead of a move action--useful if your DM likes to knock you down as much as I knock my players down)

8 Shared Valor Chainmail +2: When you grant temporary hps to an ally, you also get half that number as temporary hps

9 Crusader's Mace +2: Extra crit damage vs. undead, half the damage dealt with this weapon is radiant, and you can use it as a holy symbol; as a daily power, get an extra use of Channel Divinity

8 Mace of Healing +2: Add 2 hit points anytime you restore hit points to an ally

2 Reading Spectacles: While wearing these, you can read any language

4/9 Cloak of the Walking Wounded +1/+2: Bonus to F/R/W defenses, you can spend two healing surges instead of one if you second wind while bloodied

3 Floating Lantern: Light source that doesn't need fuel, you can "set it down" and it floats where you left it (it can be handy to have a light source in a battle that doesn't need to be held)

6 Challenge-Seeking Mace +2: Does an extra 1d6 damage to an enemy that is at full health

Most of the effects you guys described (triggered effects, fun little bonuses that affect your choice of actions) tend to be things that DMs add onto self-designed/modified magical items.  It sounds like you have a good DM--adding neat little quirks/bonuses (like throwing tables, raising zombies, etc.) indicates creativity and flexibility in a DM, which is a good thing imo.  One of my favorite self-designed magic items is the Bag of DM Tricks--the player requests something and reaches into the bag, I twist their request slightly, and then enjoy watching as they try to figure out how to use what it is that they actually pulled out of the bag.  Nothing terribly powerful mechanically-speaking, but creative, fun, and can provide a distinct edge in the hands of a creative player who's quick on their feet. =)

Offline EtanMoonstar

« Reply #6 on: 06/21/11, 08:23 PM »
Nand, 4E druids tend to have many, many options as to how exactly they're played, so my list is a bit short on things useful for you.  If you let me know what powers your character has and what role/tactics you tend to do, I can probably come up with something for you.

Offline Nandladin

« Reply #7 on: 06/21/11, 08:42 PM »
Hmm, let me level up sometime tonight and post the character file.

Offline Nandladin

« Reply #8 on: 06/21/11, 11:44 PM »
Powers:

Swarming Locusts
Thorn Whip
Savage Rend
Stinging Cloud
Wind Prison
All-Encompassing Nature
Flowing Swarm
Wall of Thorns
Leaf Wall

Feats:

Ritual Caster
Hide Armor Expertise
Clever Control
Animal Empathy
Skill Focus (nature)

My nature skill is at +18 and applies to religion, dungeoneering and arcana. <3

Offline EtanMoonstar

« Reply #9 on: 06/21/11, 11:59 PM »
Thanks Nand, looking over those powers I know I saw a couple things that should be right up your alley.  I'll go back and find them and post tomorrow.

Offline Nandladin

« Reply #10 on: 06/22/11, 02:09 AM »
I eagerly anticipate it.

Offline Nandladin

« Reply #11 on: 06/22/11, 01:19 PM »
Btw, if you know of a good item or loot database, please link it. I don't own any of the printed treasure lists.

.pdf is ideal, because I can't access much from work. :D

Offline EtanMoonstar

« Reply #12 on: 06/22/11, 02:43 PM »
I usually just use the D&D Insider compendium on the WotC website, actually (I snagged a multi-year subscription just before they raised the price ftw).

Offline Nandladin

« Reply #13 on: 06/22/11, 02:48 PM »
Boo, I can't access that from work.

Offline EtanMoonstar

« Reply #14 on: 06/22/11, 03:25 PM »
OK, here's some things that might work well for you, Nand:

5/10 Enduring Beast Hide +1/+2: You get an additional 2 hps when you spend a healing surge while in beast form; as a daily power, spend a healing surge as a minor action.

2/7 Autumn Harvest Totem +1/+2: Does extra crit damage against bloodied creatures (+1d10 instead of +1d6), and any attacks made through this totem do 1/2 extra points of damage against bloodied creatures

7 Orb of Spatial Contortion +2: Your DM would need to make this into a staff or totem for you (like that tome you mentioned), but the daily power of this item is cool--change a close blast power into a close burst 2 smaller than the blast (so your Swarming Locusts and Flowing Swarm powers would hit every square around you instead of a 3x3 square to a side or corner of you)

7 Rushing Cleats: +2 item bonus to bull rush attacks, and +1 square to push/slide close or melee attacks (your Savage Rend, for example, would slide an enemy 2 squares instead of 1)

7 Crown of Leaves: +2 item bonus to Nature and Insight

5/10 Bloodhunter Totem +1/+2: does extra crit damage to bloodied foes (+1d10 instead of +1d6) and gives +1 to attack rolls against bloodied creatures

7 Earthfall Totem +2: when you use a primal attack power that pushes, slides, or knocks a creature prone (Savage Rend), deal 1d6 extra damage--this totem combined with Rushing Cleats would make your Savage Rend an absolutely beast attack

4 Gauntlets of Blood: +2 damage vs. bloodied creatures--combine this with Bloodhunter Totem to specialize in finishing enemies off imo

9 Bear Headdress: +2 item bonus to Nature, and while in another form get a +1 bonus to Will

Offline Nandladin

« Reply #15 on: 06/22/11, 03:52 PM »
I didn't know Savage Rend slides an enemy. It's not on my ability sheet.

Offline Nandladin

« Reply #16 on: 06/22/11, 03:53 PM »
WTB Crown of Leaves <3 <3

Offline EtanMoonstar

« Reply #17 on: 06/22/11, 04:00 PM »
Yeah, here's the Savage Rend power from the Compendium (which is identical to how it appears in PHB2)--I bolded the slide line.

Savage Rend

You rake your foe with your claws, setting it up for the kill.

At-Will        Beast Form, Implement, Primal
Standard Action      Melee touch

Target: One creature

Attack: Wisdom vs. Reflex

Hit: 1d8 + Wisdom modifier damage, and you slide the target 1 square.
Level 21: 2d8 + Wisdom modifier damage.

Special: This power can be used as a melee basic attack.

Offline Nandladin

« Reply #18 on: 06/22/11, 04:06 PM »
Hot diggity damn!

Offline Niliamann

« Reply #19 on: 06/22/11, 05:11 PM »
And it's Wisdom based?

Damn, nice.

F my strength based cleric melee abilities~

Offline Nandladin

« Reply #20 on: 06/22/11, 05:14 PM »
It's a special ability to replace melee attacks for caster druids. Basically a melee version of my ranged attacks that can be used as an opportunity attack.

Offline EtanMoonstar

« Reply #21 on: 06/22/11, 05:38 PM »
Indeed, it's a neat ability.  The only catch is that he can only use it in his beast form (or swarm form rather, since he's a swarm druid), and while he's in said form he can't use his non-beast powers.  It's only a minor action to shift forms, however, and he can do so once per round.

Offline Niliamann

« Reply #22 on: 06/23/11, 02:22 AM »
This is cause I'm too lazy to type everything up :/

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k579/holykupo/Adrik.jpg

Apparently Nuitra gave me Dwarven Weapon Training and Versatile Expertise.  Somehow I never looked at that last time I was playing, oops.

Should likely steal a hammer of some sort as a result, cause going up against stuff with a 6 vs AC isn't cutting it, period.

Offline EtanMoonstar

« Reply #23 on: 06/23/11, 04:20 AM »
Well, I know the Challenge-Seeking can be applied to any type of weapon (hammer or axe, for example, not just mace); let me check on the other two really quick (granted, a DM could always make it fit by fiat).

Offline EtanMoonstar

« Reply #24 on: 06/23/11, 04:21 AM »
The Mace of Healing is listed as mace-only, but the Crusader's Weapon applies to hammers or maces.